1st attempt at larger pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

I wanted to do something other than a Slimline and this was the result. It was also my first use of a stabilized blank (box elder burl from BB). It was a real learning experience, but fun to watch the pen evolve.

I really like the pen kit...it's first class! But the Craft Supplies' assembly instructions are the worst I've ever seen. You might as well toss them and figure it out for yourself. But like I said, it was fun, and I think I'll make some more:)

2004122252553_BxEBJrStatesman2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

Beautiful pen, Gary!

If Craft Supplies continues to produce high quality kits like these, I will forgive the instructions blunder. [8D]

Gary Max

Great looking pen. Bill is real cool about giving out the good stuff.
You can really get a taste for those blanks. Keep up the good work.

Darley

Great looking pen Gary, this will be my next step next year and working for the first time with stabelized wood, I just putting on paper an order for BB but it will be only for next year.

This is what I like on this Site people showing off they work (( and it's good ( will be funy to see the ugly pen comp [:D])) that can insited apprentice like me to progress good work again.

Serge

PenWorks

Great looking pen Gary. Now that the first one is under your belt, the rest come easier. That's what is nice about a larger pen, you just see more of the beautifull wood your using. Anthony

jkirkb94

I really like your pen.[:D] Aren't stabilized blanks just great to work with! If you have any trouble with instructions there are people here who can help. Kirk[8D]

Gary

Thanks for the comments everyone. Do those of you making this pen sometimes leave the barrels a bit fatter in the center or just standard taper to the bushings?

Jimr...the pen kit is the CSUSA Jr. Statesman. The plating is Rhodium rather than chrome and the decorative inset on the cap is black titanium.

PenWorks

Gary, it's just like making a slim line, you can do variations to suit your likes. Sometimes, I take my taper from the end to about 3/16 before the nib a little bigger, then bring it back down to the bushing before the nib. This gives you a slightly larger feel to the pen. Anthony

PenWorks

Another tip, if the Jr' is going to be for a women, turn it between the bushings, on the thin side. I had to remake allot of my resins, I turned them a little on the fat side, which is fine for a guy, but when the women wanted them they were a touch to thick.

Tom McMillan

Beautiful pen Gary---very special!!! In fact, I'll bet my birthday's before Lou's---hint, hint!!! By the way---some of you may want to take a look at BB's website---Rich K. from Yahoo Penturners & The Guild just did a review on a new pen (at Yahoo and The Guild websites)---The Baron---looks like a nice pen too.

woodpens

Gary,

Please elaborate where you had trouble with the instructions for the Statesman pen. I mistakenly just accepted that they were flawed based on your initial statement. Because this pen is so much like the Gentleman pen, I didn't even look at them when I made them. I just downloaded the instructions sheet from CSU, and I see no problem whatsoever. What problem did you see with the instructions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom