1st antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

I'm turning my 1st antler. I have a resperator. Do I turn it round between centers first or try to drill it first on the lathe? Any hints would be greatly appreciated. I have quit a bit of antler by why waste it on trial and error.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

I turn mine between centers first, I guess it would be personal preference for me. Makes it easier to drill and know you aren't gonna blow out the side while doing so.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I always drill mine prior to rounding, just have to be mindfull of your entry and exit spots while doing so. Check the library for some great ideas on drilling antlers.

Rick1708

One thing I learned--skew down as far as you can. Since it has different density throughout the antler, it will sand unevenly if you're not careful.

sgimbel

Do I need to use thin CA throughout the process? I searched the library and uTube and couldn't find any details or tutorials.

MobilMan

I lay the tube on the antler to see where to drill, then chuck it up & drill. I sometimes use the drill press. Then turn to size. If you get into the marrow turn very lightly & use CA to stabilize it. Keep the marrow CA'd while sanding. Then finish using CA as normal.

GColeman

I drill before rounding.

I place a mark on each end where I want the hole to be. I place the point of my live center on one mark and my drill bit on the other. I hold the blank with channel locks and slowly advance the tail stock into the bit.

I drill just over half way. I then reverse the blank and place the live center into the hole and center the bit in the dimple left by the live center. The holes meet in the center.

Be aware that when the holes meet the blank will want to ride up the bit to the headstock.

Top Bottom