14K NIb Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevej72

I got my 14K nib from Anthony last month and haven't been able to get it to work right. It skip a lot and isn't as smooth as the original nib. Last night I took the nib assembly completely apart and rinsed it in warm water. After letting it dry I reassembled it and wrote on a brown paper bag for awhile. Then, I refilled it with Private Reserve ink using the converter. After filling it I turned the knob on the converter to put a couple drops of ink back in the bottle. It still skips.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeffj13

There is a break in period with nibs. I would suggest that you continue to write with it for another week or two to break it in. Also, make sure that you store it with the point up, so that ink does not clog the nib.

One additional thing, you should only use cold water to rinse the nib, not warm or hot.

jeff

Stevej72

I put my old nib back in and wrote and then the 14K. Took a picture, hopefully that shows what I am seeing. I did pull the converter out and tried an ink cartridge.

2007110201543_DCP_52522.jpg
<br />

Scott

Yah Steve, that's not working right! It looks really dry. It should feed much better than that. Try using an eye-dropper to gently flush some water with a small amount of amonia mixed in, through the feed. Sometimes the feeds still have some small amount of debris from manufacturing, and the flushing can help get that out. The amonia can flush out any oils that remain from manufacture. Anthony will take care of you if that doesn't work.

Good Luck!

Scott.

Stevej72

OK. I got it working but am not sure if I did the right thing. Anthony had said to make sure that the feed is resting up against the bottom of the nib. It didn't look quite right so I laid it on the desk with the curved side up and pressed down slightly. When I put it back in it started working fine. Thanks to everyone the responded.

PenWorks

I'm glad you were able to make the neccessary adjustments and hope it meets your satisfaction. You are now well on your way to becoming a nib expert [:)] It is vital that the feed is touching the bottom on the nib, preferably in the center as well. If not, the ink will not flow to the slit and sometimes I had ink just running out the side of the nib with a brand name pen because the gap was so large! In regards to how you fixed it, as long as you do not disturb the gap in the slit or bend the actual point, you can manipulate the nib to a certain degree without ruining it. My large nib comes with the feed & housing, but I can not get the small feed and housing made to fit our kit pens. I use to buy the steel nibs from BB and do the change out myself, but the bottom line, it is really not that hard to do the replacement yourself. Again, any problems, drop me a line.

bgray

As a side note, I bought a 14k nib from Anthony just recently, and I really love it.

Writes perfect, feels wonderful, and looks great.

Glad you got yours working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom