12mm barrel trimmer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bking0217

I got in on Smitty's Jr. Gent 1 pre sale. The kit calls for a 12mm drill bit but I don't have a barrel trimmer that big a can't find one anywhere. I want to have everything before the kits arrive so if someone could tell me where to get one, I would appreciate it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBCustomPens

Here's an easy tip, (don't worry, it takes only like 1 hour).

Take a cheap piece of wood, drill it with a 7mm drill bit.
Glue in a slimline tube.
Turn the piece down till it tightly slips inside the 12mm tube.
You are done. Easy.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Drill

I got in on Smitty's Jr. Gent 1 pre sale. The kit calls for a 12mm drill bit but I don't have a barrel trimmer that big a can't find one anywhere. I want to have everything before the kits arrive so if someone could tell me where to get one, I would appreciate it.

Well don't get to hung up on the 12mm drill bit....CSUSA's instructions call for a 15/32 drill bit instead of 12mm and 25/64 instead of the 10.5mm and both work just fine with my kits.

Rick_G

I quit using a barrel trimmer a while ago. They dull quickly and are not easy to sharpen. I glue in the brass tube then using my bandsaw cut the blank close to the tube at both ends. Mount the blank between centers on the lathe and using a thin parting tool on it's side part the blank off even to and square with the brass tube. Works for all tube sizes and when the parting tool gets dull it's easy to sharpen.

louie68

here's what i do with barrel trimmers i take the barrel part off stem get fine hone stone lay on flat table take the barrel shape blade lay flat on hone stone just like 180 degree and drag it equal times per side of each blade example say 3 drags per blade but do the side that cuts, it works for me, better than when it was new, still cutting blanks not dull yet. my .02 cents

ldb2000

Glue in a slimline tube.
You are done. Easy.

Be real careful about how tightly it fits , too tight and you stand a chance of heating the blank by friction and weakening the glue that holds the tube to the blank . a "Close enough fit" is more then sufficient to keep the trimmer aligned to the tube .

JBCustomPens

Glue in a slimline tube.
You are done. Easy.

Be real careful about how tightly it fits , too tight and you stand a chance of heating the blank by friction and weakening the glue that holds the tube to the blank . a "Close enough fit" is more then sufficient to keep the trimmer aligned to the tube .

Good point. I guess I should of said until it fits with no slop.

Top Bottom