1" thick black solid pvc any use to us?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Have used PVC water pipe and a ton of sewer pipe fitting for jigs. Turns easy but tend to be boring.

Waterpipe was light blue and used what I had for a friend as baby boy pens. Never felt the desire to get any more,

Do use the black and white for compression chucks and vacuum chucks.

Sylvanite

It's my understanding that StarBoard ST is HDPE, not PVC. I've worked with StarBoard a little. It machined well, but was more difficult to sand than other plastics. I also wouldn't expect the usual glues or finishes to adhere.

Regards,
Eric

redfishsc

It's my understanding that StarBoard ST is HDPE, not PVC. I've worked with StarBoard a little. It machined well, but was more difficult to sand than other plastics. I also wouldn't expect the usual glues or finishes to adhere.

Regards,
Eric

Eric, you are probably right.

The company I work for (a custom cabinet shop) used a 4X8 sheet of this stuff to make an outdoor dining table (customer had already chosen the material, it wasn't our idea).

We have a pretty decent amount of offcut from it. I machined some of it today making a false bottom for a reef aquarium (22X22 slab used to distribute the weight of a very heavy rockwork section). It did NOT have the PVC smell so I assume this isn't actual PVC, and may indeed be a form of polyethelene.

Machines like butter. Has a gloss on it, even after a table saw blade. No remelt.

Top Bottom