1 piece cigar question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dvoigt

So I would like to try the 1-piece cigar pen but I have some questions:

1) how does the nib/cigar tub part stay inside the larger serria tube? I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

2) how can you get to the refill to change it?

I think I have other questions... but Ill start with those.

Thanks!
Derek

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

So I would like to try the 1-piece cigar pen but I have some questions:

1) how does the nib/cigar tub part stay inside the larger serria tube? I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

2) how can you get to the refill to change it?

I think I have other questions... but Ill start with those.

Thanks!
Derek

1) The whole the nib/cigar tube/and transmission are all connected and are essentially held in place by friction with the upper cigar tube (the same as they are in a "normal" cigar)

2) To replace the refill, you can firmly grasp the nib and pull the whole assembly out. You could also just unscrew the nib to get at the refill.

-Barry

John Eberly

Long cigar

What Barry said -

The entire lower tube turns inside the sierra tube. The transmission is held in the upper tube by friction just like a standard cigar.

The trick for me is to get the length of the pen right (you have to make it as ling as the tubes plus the thickness of the ground down coupler - I always forget that) and to drill the entire length keeping the center in line all the way through. I've tried 3 times and have 2 good pens to show for it.

I have had success turning the blank round and mounting it in my chuck. I use a jacobs chuck in the tailstock and drill on the lathe. I drill the hole for the larger (sierra) tube from one end. I change to a 1/4" taper length (long) bit and drill the rest of the way through.

Then I swap the blank around and line it up to drill the smaller (cigar) hole from the opposite end. You have the 1/4" hole to center on. The critical piece is to make sure the blank is perfectly centered in the chuck and that it runs true.

If everything lines up after you're done drilling, glue in the tubes. I do the sierra one first, bottoming it out in the hole. Then stick a transfer punch inside that tube and blue the cigar tube in the other end. The punch keeps the cigar tube from going in too far and protruding into the sierra tube.

RHossack

What Barry said -
The trick for me is to get the length of the pen right (you have to make it as ling as the tubes plus the thickness of the ground down coupler - I always forget that) and to drill the entire length keeping the center in line all the way through. I've tried 3 times and have 2 good pens to show for it.
Barry ... I think you also need to add in the thickness of the Center Band and Decorative Ring to get the proper length.

What I do now is just cut all my blanks @ 4-1/4".

Top Bottom