1" antler drill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick1708

I want to make a " [FONT=&quot]Bottle Stopper with Pouring Spout and Cork Seal" from PSI. I need to drill a 1" hole to accommodate the spout. I'm looking for suggestions on drilling that much out of an deer antler. The antler is about 1 3/8 to 1 1/2". It's at the base, so it's pretty straight.

I also thought about trying to hollow it out on the lathe bowl style, but am not sure it would take the pressure and not blow out.

Thanks.
[/FONT]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I don't know why is would be a problem. I've drilled it with a 9/16 bit for pill holder key chains many times. It is tougher than most wood, no reason it would not drill straight and easy as long as you can hold firmly in a vise. At that diameter you will probably be into the tougher outer layer and totally away from the pith.

bitshird

A good set of nose plugs, or rub some Vicks under your nose. If you have access to a metal lathe drill a 1/2 in or larger hole then use a boring bar. I'm not sure how you would do it on a wood lathe other than drill it out as large as you can then use a small spindle gouge to hollow out the hole, but it will require a steady hand, fortunately you don't have to go all that deep, just getting it even will be a task

Rick1708

Because it wasn't round, I couldn't drill on the lathe. However, I used a very sharp Forstner bit on the drill press with the antler in a vise.

Bottom line, it drilled easier than many wood/acrylic blanks I've done.

Thanks for the comments. I'll post a pict when done.

Top Bottom