1 or 2 blanks on a mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jscola

How do you pen turners turner your pens? 1-blank on the mandrel , or do you turn both blanks at once? I turn one blank at a time, because I think there is less run out closer to the head stock. Yor opinions would be appreciated. Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
If some one is having some run out problems on one end when turning two, then one at a time is probably best. If there are no run out problems with two parts, then there is no reason not to do both at the same time - except for personal choice only.

I will also say, from my woodworking background, that tolerances are relative. Some people are more sensitive to / can feel and see minute differences in sizes, roundness and at edges better than others. What one would accept and be happy with, another would not. Still, if two parts on a well tuned lathe have not run out, then doing both at the same time would seem perfectly logical.

Dario

I do both (1 or 2) but prefer one at a time and turn this way when possible.

No arguing that turning 2 at a time is faster...but 1 at a time offers better accuracy. I choose quality over quantity (speed).

Actually better accuracy saves me a LOT of time so one at a time turns out much faster (for me). Once, I had to refinish a pen 4 times because I can't get it quite right due to mandrel drift...took me almost 9 hours on that pen and lots of heartache.

bonefish

One barrel at a time. I haven't had satisfactory results turning two at a time.

Although, you could rough turn two at a time, then change to one barrel, near the headstock, for the finishing touches and fitting.

Just leave enough material to fix any out of roundness or other defects.

Bonefish

mrcook4570

Originally posted by bonefish
<br />Although, you could rough turn two at a time, then change to one barrel, near the headstock, for the finishing touches and fitting.

Just leave enough material to fix any out of roundness or other defects.

This is the method that I use.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
In the beginning I turned them one at a time because that was the only way to do it. The mandrels hadn't been invented yet.

Then the mandrels appeared in the catalogs and I started doing them 2 at a time because that was what everyone else was doing.

Then the pens started getting bigger, and it dawned on me that the pens might be faster to turn on a single mandrel, but the fit and finish wasn't as good, and I went back to doing them one at a time.

Since then I have evolved into a combination of both. I do the turning and rough sanding of the barrels of most pens one at a time because there is less vibration and the barrels are more accurate. Then I put them both on a single mandrel for the finish sanding and finishing because it is faster that way.

Then I discovered the collet chuck to hold the mandrels, and finishes that require dipping and drying, or several days between applications. Rather than having several mandrels, I replaced the mandrel with several 1/4" bolts to hold the pen barrels for the final sanding and finishing.

gerryr

I mount both barrels on the mandrel, turn the one closest to the headstock and then swap them end for end, keeping the grain orientation. After I turn the second one, I just leave them in place for sanding. Once I get a Beall collet chuck, I will probably only mount one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom