0.5mm pencils?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dvoigt

Pencil kits seem to be limited in styles compared to pen kits. But why are most of the pencil kits out there for 0.7mm lead. Who makes 0.5mm pencil? All the people I know prefer the 0.5. Or does anyone make a replacement mechanism that would fit in a cigar pencil?

Thanks!
Derek

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

I have made quite a few pencils using the different kits available. I really dont like any of them. Have replaced several for customers because of operating issues. Now I only do Pentel conversions. The pentel is reliable, I have had one for over 10 years that is still going strong.
They are available in 0.5, 0.7 and 0.9 mm.

Sylvanite

I have made quite a few pencils using the different kits available. I really dont like any of them. ... Now I only do Pentel conversions. The pentel is reliable, I have had one for over 10 years that is still going strong.
Ditto.

I made a bunch of 0.5mm Slimline pencils, 0.5mm Americana pencils, and 0.5mm and 0.7mm Cigar pencils. In the end, none of them held up well. The mechanisms simply didn't last. The Pentel pencil mechanism is far superior to any kit pencil I've seen. It works well and lasts. I have Pentel pencils that I bought 30 years ago and are still going strong.

I don't make any other 0.5 or 0.7mm mechanical pencils anymore.

Regards,
Eric

Lenny

One of the reasons I was drawn into pen turning was to make pencils. To answer your question CSUSA has .05mm slimeline pencils.
I learned very quickly how problematic they are, replacing mechanisms in nearly half of the first 10 I made within a few months.
Have since seen some other styles I would be interested in trying to see if they stand up better .... particularly the one that can be swapped for a Parker style refill. Anyone have any firsthand experience with that type?

Edit: This is what I had seen... Bear Tooth Woods pencil mechanism
http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35_39&products_id=129

Last edited:
Top Bottom