*grumble grumble*

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

After three attempts tonight to make a cap for a pen, I decided instead to make some broken chunks of wood with holes drilled in them.

At least THIS way I can honestly say I acheived what I set out to do.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
LOL!!!!
Been there, done that, have a full closet of shirts!!!
Want some??

It is satisfying to know that i am not the only one out there...

Don't worry, it does get better, then worse, then better, etc...:bulgy-eyes:

Andrew

PenMan1

No, Matthew! You were out in the shop gaining experience!

Experience= what you get when you don't get what you set out to get.

Your next efforts will be markedly better because of the experience you gained today. Keep the faith!

PenMan1

For what it's worth, in the old days, I kept all my misques in a small bucket that I could see while turning. I called this my humility bucket!

Now that I'm experienced pen maker, I no longer have a "humility" bucket! I NOW HAVE A 55 GALLON "HUMILITY DRUM!

I have told myself that when I get the drum full, I'll finally be an accomplished pen maker.....or at least hold the Guiness Book of World Record for most expensive and exotic garbage.

Skotty

LOL Feeling is mutual.After spending ungodly amounts of time turning down a finicky acrylic only to have it crack while putting in the nib,I took my frustrations out on a block!

you know what? Think it's the best bottlestopper I have ever made:biggrin:

fernhills

When it gets you down, make another item in woodworking. Flat items is my long history of woodworking. If it were not for what i learned in making pens, i would have never learned the techniques and materials that can be applied to regular woodworking. Carl

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi dee Ho!

Don't fret, just go to the house beat the wife, kick the dog, have a slug of whiskey run out to the back porch and holler Hi dee Ho. All will be well in the morning provided the wife does not shoot you in your sleep (the dog will forgive you...the wife might not).

fernhills

Don't fret, just go to the house beat the wife, kick the dog, have a slug of whiskey run out to the back porch and holler Hi dee Ho. All will be well in the morning provided the wife does not shoot you in your sleep (the dog will forgive you...the wife might not).

I get all mixed up and kiss the dog and throw the wife down the cellar

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Oh, Lord it's HARD to be HUMBLE!!!!!

For what it's worth, in the old days, I kept all my misques in a small bucket that I could see while turning. I called this my humility bucket!

Now that I'm experienced pen maker, I no longer have a "humility" bucket! I NOW HAVE A 55 GALLON "HUMILITY DRUM!

I have told myself that when I get the drum full, I'll finally be an accomplished pen maker.....or at least hold the Guiness Book of World Record for most expensive and exotic garbage.

Well, Andy I have pondered this all day (the football game was not all that interesting).

When we meet and compare the level of the material in our respective "Humility drums", if my drum is more full than YOUR drum, can I take great PRIDE, in my HUMILITY???? Or am I HUMBLED by your less full drum????

Brings to mind that ol song, "Oh, Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way---I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better lookin each day" (which Dawn attributes to my failing eyesight, but we won't listen to HER!!!)

Please advise on this "humbling" matter.

Thanks!!

ctubbs

It must be way nice to have such self control. My prefference is to gently place the offending item upon the floor and quiet acurately place my 10 and 1/2 4 E briskly upon it.:mad: AAAHHHHH! What a relief!:eek::redface::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Charles

PS: I learned years ago to not kiss the dog (he bites) or hit the wife(great memory, besides, she knows where I sleep). :):tongue::biggrin: She just might make me a :ghost:.
Charles

PenMan1

It must be way nice to have such self control. My prefference is to gently place the offending item upon the floor and quiet acurately place my 10 and 1/2 4 E briskly upon it.:mad: AAAHHHHH! What a relief!:eek::redface::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Charles

PS: I learned years ago to not kiss the dog (he bites) or hit the wife(great memory, besides, she knows where I sleep). :):tongue::biggrin: She just might make me a :ghost:.
Charles

Charles:
I used to vent my frustration the same way! BUT, because I spend so much time in the MAN CAVE, I added 1" thick rubber flooring to the cave.

Now, when I MASH H**L out of the offending culprit, it jumps right back up in my face as if to say "HaHaHa, I won, I won, I won!" Now the my wife and the police refuse to let me discharge my own large caliber firearm in my own cave! AND I hit right where I was aiming.

Reckless discharge of a firearm! WHAT A CROCK! I HIT WHAT I WAS AIMING AT! A jury of MY peers WILL aquit me:biggrin:

PenMan1

Ed:
I've been thinking about your last post on this subject for two days now.

The only way I can answer your query is with an analogy,that I understand:

Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, GA is the WORST hospital in the history of hospitals! They have actually had patients die from starvation, MORE THAN ONCE, because they LOST THE PATIENT and the paperwork!

Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, GA is the BEST hospital in the history of hospitals! If you have multiple stab wounds, multiple gunshots, multiple stokes, multiple heart attacks, lose multiple limbs/digits, or have been overun by multiple vehicles or multiple pieces of heavy equipment, or have been tossed out out mutliple FLYING aircraft...YOU WANT GRADY HOSPITAL!!! They have seen EVERYTHING BAD that can happen to a human, THREE TIMES on a single Saturday night shift!

BUT....IF YOU GO TO GRADY, for EVEN A TOOTACHE....TAKE A COMPANION (WITNESS).

IMHO, if we compare "Humility Drums", WE MUST HAVE A GRADY COMPANION(WITNESS) or else we are in GRAVE DANGER!

Respecfully submitted (sorta) :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom