$30 Tormek grinder??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
NO, I have not found a Tormek for $30, mine was MUCH more expensive. BUT, I wanted a grinder for my "traveling show". Wet grinding was my preference, but I convinced myself I could create sparks if I had to and go back to dry, high speed.

Enter my trip to Sears. They have a wet grinder, much smaller than the Tormek (5" wheel, but 2" wide) for only $30. Kicker was, its on sale for $25 locally.

So, I took it home, unpacked, set up, put in water and went for my 1" roughing gouge. This tool has been used recently for beating up on square stuff. I've been too lazy to sharpen it, and I have 2 others that were sharp-er so it wasn't yet a priority (I generally sharpen all tools at once, and my skews were fine). THIS LITTLE SHARPENER WORKS!!!

Will post pic later (left it at home-senior event-way too many to call them moments). Stop at Sears, guys, its worth the trip.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bud duffy

That sounds just like the one i have had for years works real good on kitchen knifes i hadnt really thought about using it for turning tools. mine is part # 190710 and here is a quick pic i just took . It turns real slow and like Ed said has a forwars/ reverse switch and is adjustable for just about any angle you might want. i got mine on a clearance sale years ago i think it was like $20 if i remember right. Bud

200572864710_crafstman%20wet%20sharpener.jpg
<br />

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
LOwes was blowing these out last summer for $20.00.
I have one and it's a pain but the wheel turns sometimes the rev switch works and it always spits out water.
gr050.jpg

Use the Craftsman one with care. I've had one for a couple of years, I used it for knifes, mower blades and such. I never had much luck with it for turning tools, but that's because I'm not good at sharpening without the Wolverine jig. Anyway, I put it in place a few days ago to sharpen some knifes, and as soon as it started the stone broke in half. I had used it about a month ago with no problem, and I've never left the water in it after using it.
ken

Chuck Hans

Well I guess I have to be a wet blanket on this one, I went and picked one up this evening, tried it on a chisel, The wheel is out of round and the tool rests are too flimsey in my personal opinion. It's going back tomorrow morning. I guess I expect too much. I will also go back to my diamond stones.

Randy_

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00921170000&tab=ser#tab

If you want to see what it looks like, here is the link to the Sears site. Can't tell for sure; but the label in the picture looks like it might say no load 170 RPMS???

Thumbs

If you use your Craftsman Club Card that's another 10% off.[;)]
At $22.50, that's a pretty good deal even if you use it only once or twice! I've still got my Wolverine set but what the Hey![:p][:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom