$20.00 Buffing Kit Trial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

My little $20.00 , 8 piece buffing wheels and polish sticks kit arrived in the mail this morning. Of course I had to dash right out to the shop and try it.
So I took these three pens and disassembled them and buffed them and put them back together.
WOW , WOW, WOW, what a difference it made. I will be buffing all my pens from now on before assembling them. I didn't even put them on the lathe to buff them. I just held the parts between thumb and forefinger on my left hand with the buffing wheel chucked into a high speed drill in my right hand .
I was going to buff wax them also but had them all assembled before thinking about it. Maybe next time.
I sanded with MM before applying the WB laquer but not after. I will try the MM after laquer and before buffing though on some other ones as I make them so I can make a comparison.
Bit by bit I'm getting this pen making to where I want it.
I have been doing mostly modified slimlines until I feel that I have them looking good enough to go into more elaborate kits.
W.Y.
Buffed%20Pens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

William Young

Here ya go Chuck
http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=216959
Apparently they ship to USA as well because they have both prices and it will only cost you $15.00 because your money is better than mine.:)
Wanna trade some ? ?
W.Y.

G

that buffing make a difference,I noticed it in my pens.
DId the "kit" come with any instructions?
I have Harbor freight buffing kits.
I got on e white stick one Reddish brown and 2 wheels.
I don't know what either stick is for.
I think the white is abrasive and the reddish brown polishes.
I am guessing the reddish brown is tripoli but i don't know for sure.
I guess for $2.50 you don't get instructions.

William Young

Nope.. no instructions . just 2 white, 1 tipoli and one emery I think it was called. I'll probably never use that last emery one. Sounds pretty vicious. All I used was the white and with the tiny bit you use on the buffing wheel those two sticks should be enough to do a million pens , .. give or take a few..
I have a suspicion that the Hut brown and/or white sticks would also do a wonderfull job when dressed onto a buffing wheel. Gotta try that some day. I dont mean as a final finish but as a polish finish on a CA or laquer finish. The posibilities are endless.

Come to think about it, there were some instructions on the back of the blister pack card but it didn't mean all that nuch to me except that the white bars are the finest (rouge type) as they explained it. The instructions only talked about metal polishing.
W.Y.

tipusnr

Great look. I just started buffing my pens myself. Now a see what a good foundation under the buffing can do!

Eagle. Off-hand I'd have to say both your sticks might be abrasives. They sound like the first two sticks of the Beale buffing system. The reddish brown should be tripoli and should be used first and the other should be white diamond and used second. What you are missing is the carnuba wax to finish the job. The first two give you a really smooth finish (kind of like polishing silver) but the wax brings the shine back and adds protection!

If I'm wrong, someone jump in a correct me!

G

Figures it seems the white is more abrasive.I know if I use the reddish brown I get a high polish on CA and if I follow it up withe white it dulls it.
I reallly don't know what I have,that's why I keep asking.
HF had them on a sidewalk sale and I grabbed a couple for the buffing wheels.$2.50

Tom McMillan

OK, OK, W.Y.---enough!!!! You're gettin waaaaaaayy too nice a finish on those---gonna take me awhile to catch up. I was laid off a few weeks ago---but, will start a new job tomorrow---so, will hopefully have funds in a short while to try your method of finishing. Lookin real nice!!! Just droolin a bit here.

Gary

Penn State Industries has a relatively inexpensive buffing/polishing machine for small objects. For those that might be interested: http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PROBUFF&Category_Code=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom