$14.00 Pen press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have been using a Bessy clamp since I've been making pens.It works well enough but wanted some thing better.
I was reading another turning forum and a member posted about a press he bought from Grizzly.Here's what he said about it:

"This item seems to be more adaptable to the needs of a pen maker than anything I have seen before, even a regular arbor press. It has bolts that can be adjusted to limit the travel, a hole with set screw for a ram, and threaded holes to locate the poly or wood base for the pen barrel."

I am going to make a 'ram' from UHMW poly, and a base with a little hole in it for the pen tip. I will post some pics later on.

Grizzly told me this morning that they have a FEW more units available. "

I called grizz and there were some available.
Hopefuuly here is the link
http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/items-list.cfm?key=210090&listtype=group&

The model number is G 9838 and not in the catalogue it is a discontinued item and only available through their outlet store.
BTW I was talking to the customer Rep at Grizzly and this must be a fairly sturdy unit.Shipping wieght is 40 pounds.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Thanks for the tip.
Just placed an on line order. Hope it goes through.
shipping was $6.45 from what they qouted me.

G

DCBluesman
for me it is an improvement of the tool I use to press my pens together.(bessy cabinet clamp)
Some use a pen press but for what they are made of I believe they are highly overpriced.I could make my own version of the wooden ones easily enough but i wouls rather be turning pens.
Many people use a DP but I like to leave mine set up for drilling blanks.
Some use an arbor press but I saw the ones at HF and wasn't impressed with the quality.
I really don't know what the grizzly tool is meant to be used for but the original poster at Wood Central just received his and said that it had the features a pen turner would want in a press.
A 40 lb. $20.00 press delivered to my door seemed like a good deal.

M

Mudder

I just got mine today and It's really nice. Basically a mini arbor press that looks like it will be just the ticket for pens. Thanks for the tip.

G

I am glad you guys got yours.THe OOPS man came by thursday with a delivery.I went out and signed for it.He had the box balanced on his leg while I did the paper work(??????)
Whe he handed me the box I was expecting something heavy.The box almost floated away!
THere was a hole in the bottom of the otherwise normal looking box!
THe carton was empty.
We undid the signature thing.He called The "warehouse" they have a funny name for it but basically Lost and found.
He then suggested I call Grzz and order another.If the first one shows up refuse it.
I had to be a little gruff with Grizzly as they wanted me to wait for someone to call, do a trace yada.yada.yada.
I am just wondering how well was it packed.I mean other than the hole in the carton which could not be seen as the box was sitting,you could not tell there was any damage.
I am glad you got yours, I wish I had mine.

M

Mudder

Funny you should say that.

My box looked like it had gone around the world twice. The UPS guy asked if I wanted to refuse it, it was heavy and I could see that the exposed part of the press was not broken so I accepted it. All was fine. I'm sorry you did not get yours, Hopefully it will come soon.

darbytee

My box was in rough shape too, but fortunately nothing was damaged. For something that heavy they didn't do a very good job of securing it for shipping. I guess that's the cost of buying closeouts.
-Fred

Got mine also. Box a little dented but not "damaged". That thing weighs about 20 lbs. and of cast iron and steel. I don't think it was packed very well for what it was. Just a box full of packing peanuts and the press. But it did arrive and was not dammaged in any way.

The press it's self is great. Worth every penny and more. Very adaptable for pen making and in my humble opinion, far superior to the presses sold for the purpose. I will have to add a wood or composition "pad" to rest the pens on the bottom. And add something to the end of the ram like wood or composition to soften the surface. Both to put something between the pen and cast iron and steel.

jwoodwright

[?] Now I'm getting real concerned. I ordered one and it's coming Parcel Post to Anchorage, Alaska. I think they still use horses...[:D] Hopefully, mine will arrive in good condition.

G

Gee I feel better that some people took advantage of my heads up.I was beginning to think i was being ignred.
I am sorry that Grizz didn't pack them better.
Maybe i will get mine this week.
For "pads" I recommend that white bread board stuff.
I have a lot of it I got when I bought a cabinet but the dollars stores sometimes have inexpensive breadboards.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />.......I am sorry that Grizz didn't pack them better.........

I'm confused,

Your sorry? Did you package them? I really could care less what the box looks like as long as what is inside is okay.[:D]

PenWorks

Ok, I'll try one. I was going to buy an arbor, but this sounds better. The pen assembly tools are cheap, mine sits on the shelf most of the time. I have been using a spare drill press. Hoping the bottom doesn't fall out on this deal, literly speaking.

wayneis

Well I recieved mine today, it was marked "Fragile" that cracked me up when I opened the box because there was no packing material at all, just the twenty LB press sitting there. I used it last night and its ok but I won't be giving up the press that I bought from PSI. I used a piece of 3/8" al. rod, then adrilled a 3/8" hole in a small block of PVC and inserted the rod into it. I wish that it had about another inch or two of height.

Wayne

G

I got mine thursday,I will need to make a couple of"pads" for it, but this is going to work great!

jwoodwright

[:D]
Finally, my $14.00 press arrived in Great Shape. My Friendly Mail Man left it on the porch and was way down the block when I drove in.

Now it's time to get an adapt-a-kit and get it up and running.[:D]

G

Y'all are ahead of me.
How bout some pitures of how you set it up for different heights,or do you just readjust the top part?

jwoodwright

Just received it. Pictures will follow. Have a 1/2 ton Arbor Press, bad as you can't set stop positions like this one. I'm thinking of using my automatic center punch to mark locations on the support tube. This way you can press a slimline perfectly. every time...[8D]

G

Originally posted by Kim
<br />
Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />Y'all are ahead of me.
How bout some pitures of how you set it up for different heights,or do you just readjust the top part?

There are two (14mm) bolts that mount the head to the post. I don't think they would last long with constant adjustment. I'm planning to make a nice step-block for the sizes (heights) I want, and a little pad for the end of the ram.

Peace;

Kim

I have on a table in my shop( who am I kidding the table is part of the table SAW fullof "stuff")
and visualize how I want to "tweak" it.
Thinking of a set up like my plunge router,"turret style" with different height blocks.
Spin it and fergit it!

Scottydont

Not to gloat over the folks who had damaged boxes but maybe some others complained to Griz. I just received my order (seven days) and it was wrapped in bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts, all in perfect shape. I looks pretty decent. Not Lee Valley quality but can't beat it for that price.

Perry

There is no info on this press. Could someone tell me the total travel of the ram please?

Thanks in advance,
Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom