"Ivory" contest!!! PRIZES!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
So, a bunch of people HAVE alternative ivory. So, how do we get them to make pens and post pictures?????

<center>INCENTIVIZE!!</center><center>(Don't look that one up, I had to write it into my dictionary)</center>

Announcing a

<center>"Look at the great pen I made from alternative ivory!!!"</center>
<center>CONTEST</center>

We KNOW the winner will get a famous Racine kringle, cause everyone who has gotten one has commented (much to MY amazement - this was DAWN'S idea originally and it really was a HIT!)

However, there will also be three PRIZES (gift certificate so you can pick your own blanks). The entries will be open until June 18 (Wed) at 5 PM (computer time). Just post your pictures of any pen made from alternative ivory (does not have to be FROM me, can be any source) in SOYP as you always would, but make an entry to this thread indicating you would like to compete for the gift certificates.

Should be FUN!!!! I will enlist the help of a couple "disinterested, anonymous third parties" to judge as we near the end. So, Feedback is welcome. So are entries!!! Go make a "kinda white" pen!!! Dawn and I are looking forward to seeing your entries!!!!

SKIPPY IS eligible, even tho he may have to have his own "nuts only" category!!!:D:D:D

Draken

Them there Kringles are the best. After winning one in the Mug contest, wife and I signed up for the 12 month Kringle club. Eagerly awaiting June's arrival... [:p]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There you go, an unsolicited testimonial!!!!

Just think, James, YOU could win an EXTRA Kringle for JULY!!! Better yet, it won't cost YOU $25!!!!!

Get your Alt ivory pen made and entered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

ESwindell

Ed,
I got mine as well, thank you very much. Are there any considerations when turning the alt. ivory? Or does it turn like normal PR? Plus now I have to get my pictures off my camera and into the computer so I can upload them.
God Bless,
Eric

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Like most plastics, I turn to round (yes, it is a rod, but my tube is never 'dead center'). Then, I will "radius" the 4 ends. (Also a good idea to add extra spacers between the "middle" bushings, so you don't hit the top when "rounding over" the bottom) I round them to nearly finished size (bushing). Then, do normal turning for the rest (if it comes off in ribbons, all is well --- if it is "chipping" your angle of approach is bad or your tool is not sharp enough.)

Hope this helps.:D:D

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Incentivize????[8D] Another of your pearls of wisdom? Sounds like a Bushism to me[8D]

Does the 'Nuts Only' category refer to the pen or the pen maker?[}:)]

I'd love to enter but unfortunately I had another mishap in my shop today. Sliced through three fingers straight to the bone just cleaning up!! I should have had gloves on I suppose. I thought I was just picking up PR ribbons from under the lathe but there was one very long very thin stainless steel one hidden inside. One end of which was wedged under the lathe bed, so of course when I pulled on it.......[xx(]

All in all a wonderful week:(

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by skiprat

Incentivize????[8D] I'd love to enter but unfortunately I had another mishap in my shop today. Sliced through three fingers straight to the bone just cleaning up!! I should have had gloves on I suppose. I thought I was just picking up PR ribbons from under the lathe but there was one very long very thin stainless steel one hidden inside. One end of which was wedged under the lathe bed, so of course when I pulled on it.......[xx(]

All in all a wonderful week:(

<h1>OUCH</h1>[:0][:0][:0]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
<center>Owwwwwwww</center>

Hope they don't hurt TOO bad, Steve. You may have to add a couple shots to the beers to "EASE THE PAIN".

About 3 days of REAL discomfort, then just throbbing pain for a week.
Heal quickly, while you are still young!!!!;);)

There's a lot to be said for a sloppy shop (I have one, I know these things!!!):D:D:D

OKLAHOMAN

Steven, that sent chills up my spine and I'm with Ed sloppy's just right as long as you can see a portion of the floor. Heal quickly .

OKLAHOMAN

Jeff if you ever taste one your hooked, I also recived one from Dawn
and as the campbell's kids say UMM UMM GOOD!
Originally posted by workinforwood

Does this include clear white corian? If so, I'm in. I don't have any idea what a Kringle is but I know I need one.

Draken

Originally posted by ed4copies

Just think, James, YOU could win an EXTRA Kringle for JULY!!! Better yet, it won't cost YOU $25!!!!!

Of all the blanks I've received from you, Ed, alt. Ivory wasn't one of them. So I currently don't have the material needed to enter this contest. :(

For more info on the Kringle, go to:
http://www.ohbakery.com/kringle.htm
[:p]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Draken

Of all the blanks I've received from you, Ed, alt. Ivory wasn't one of them. So I currently don't have the material needed to enter this contest. :(

For more info on the Kringle, go to:
http://www.ohbakery.com/kringle.htm
[:p]

You TOUCHED my heart James!!!

See Ad at Most Valued Vendors, to help solve your problem!!!!:)

Draken

You TOUCHED my heart James!!!

See Ad at Most Valued Vendors, to help solve your problem!!!!:)

Mighty generous (and humorous) of you Ed, I'll need to run this by the appropriations committee before I can commit. With the mustard monster and now a new Nikon D60 two lens setup (stealth gloat), the committee has been duct taping my wallet shut. [:eek:)] Or I could be gracious and let someone else have a shot at winning a yummy Kringle. ;)

Sorry to hear of your injury Skiprat, hope you heal up soon! I too cringed when I read about it. [xx(]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
James,

Think NOT of it as an expenditure!!!!

Why, you merely purchase two blanks (in the unlikely event you can IMPROVE on your first masterpiece), turn the winning pen and sit back and reap the benefits (remember "wifey" loves kringle --- YOU may enjoy the gift certificate for blanks --- some of which I expect to shamelessly "PLUG" as the contest progresses)

So, approach your betrothed with the "My dear, we can ENJOY TWO kringles in mid-summer!!!" "NO, dear, of COURSE I am not proposing shelling out $25 TWICE!!! I merely need to make a small investment in a dead resin elephant!"

HOW COULD SHE SAY NO!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome!:D:D:D:D

Woodlvr

Ed,
Please PP me for a couple of these and I will try my hand at them. After trying the Rainbow blanks I guess that I should try these also.:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You know how all these websites tell you

YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IS SAFE WITH ME!!!

<center>
Well, I don't say that. </center>

Why, cause I don't KEEP any information on you!!!

To send you a PayPal invoice, I need YOUR paypal address. Once I have finished my transaction, I dispose of that information. IF anyone breaks into MY computer, they cannot FIND anything, cause there is NOTHING there!!!!

I don't want to compromise YOUR personal info and I have nowhere NEAR the firewall it takes to ASSURE confidentiality.

So, I am HAPPY to send paypal invoices, just send me a PM through the forum software. I will then e-mail you (and go through paypal if you desire) --- BUT, once that transaction is complete, all the info is GONE on my end.[:0][:0][:0]

I realize this is NOT as convenient as it COULD be, but it IS safer.

Thanks for understanding.:):):):) And, THANKS FOR YOUR BUSINESS!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by baker4456

Ed,
Send pictures of your alternative dead elephant tusk. How much do they cost

Please don't forget the "resin" part or I may have PETA being a PIA.

I will look for some pics.

Oh, here's one:

2008530183459_Tajhp6net.jpg

This is NOT eligible, however. Dawn did it!:D:D:D

workinforwood

Ok, no corian then, although it is ivory corian which is nearly the same as PR with a bondo twist, and you did say whether the fake ivory was yours or someone elses. I'm just sayin...but I'm also ok with it. Too bad, I wanted a Kringle. :(

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Ok, no corian then, although it is ivory corian which is nearly the same as PR with a bondo twist, and you did say whether the fake ivory was yours or someone elses. I'm just sayin...but I'm also ok with it. Too bad, I wanted a Kringle. :(

Yeah, I know the feeling.

I wanted to win the 100 yard dash in the Olympics, too. Trouble was, I wasn't fast enough. Had they just allowed me a 90 yard headstart..........

They just said, "Rules is rules". Poor me.:(:(:(:(:(

Chuck Key

Yeah, I know the feeling.

I wanted to win the 100 yard dash in the Olympics, too. Trouble was, I wasn't fast enough. Had they just allowed me a 90 yard headstart..........

They just said, "Rules is rules". Poor me.:(:(:(:(:(

That depends. Right now it is going to cost me $20.00 to enter for a chance at a gift certificate. Hardly worth it to me for a $100.00 gift certificate. Might do it for a chance at $250. Likely at a $500 gift certificate. But right now I would be jumping the gun. Kind of like playing baseball as a kid and some one else owned the bat and ball.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Many are called, some choose not to answer.

Sorry! We WILL miss your entry - you are a talented penmaker.

Maybe next contest. (If I decide to do this again, which will depend, in part, on how many think it is a GOOD idea vs. how many find all the flaws in it.)

Ligget

Originally posted by mitchm

Ed, need your help here, read all the posts and am now very curious....what the hell is a Kringle??[:I]:)

Is that like a haggis? A wee bonnie thing that runs aboot the hills an glens in an ooot of the thistles man, ken! [}:)]:D

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mark and Mike and others.

The local "Chamber of Commerce" has declared me "personna non grata" years ago, because I won't "sing" from their "hymnal". Racine abounds with BAD ideas, BAD neighborhoods and BAD government -- all enforced by VERY NICE men and women who became police officers and get NO support from the community.

HOWEVER, Racine was settled by a Danish population over a century ago. These folks KNEW bakery and either developed, or brought with them, the recipe for "kringle". The "kringle.com" link is a good place for pictures, but you will never understand kringle until you try one. And, it really has become something in Racine that is WORTH travelling (a couple blocks) to get one.

When Dawn suggested it as a prize in another contest for the IAP, where we were shipping out blanks, I was not enthusiastic (at best) about it. However, we got e-mails from EVERY recipient, raving about their kringle (and graciously mentioning they were very happy with the blanks). So, it has developed a "life of it's own" now and will probably be used in any contest where I am purchasing and providing the "awards".

Make an alternative Ivory pen, post it, declare your "entry" and WIN!!! We will ship to Europe or Australia or Africa. Yes, we are "weird", thanks!!!

mitchm

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Originally posted by mitchm

Ed, need your help here, read all the posts and am now very curious....what the hell is a Kringle??[:I]:)

Ah, Mike, don't you have Google in South Africa?? :D;)

www.kringle.com

Cav, what the hell is Google?? This is dark Africa, pitty Ed had to make the contest ALTERNATIVE IVORY, my pet elephant would gladly give another blank of the REAL stuff!:)[}:)]:D

mitchm

Ed, now that is what I call wikipedia style info!! Here I was thinking you guys have some special secret blank you keeping all to yourselves! How far is Racine from NYC?? Them Kringles look sooo tempting!

Cav....no way I am gona try and map this on Google Earth, Africa broadband is driven by mule power!:D[}:)]:)

Top Bottom