"B" Mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

I have a couple of A mandrel set with MT2 Arbor for my lathe.

If I need a B mandrel...do I need to buy the MT2 arbor too or can I just buy the B shaft?

Will the knurled nut for A mandrel fit the B mandrel?

Thank you,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Dario: On my Berea mandrels, the threads are the same on the "A" and the "B" mandrel. Headstock and tailstock ends have the same thread. (I don't have a thread gauge so can't tell you what the thread is.....probably metric?) I would guess that mandrels from PSI and CSUSA would also fit; but an email to the company would tell you for sure. No doubt, another IAP member will be along shortly with info about cross company compatibility.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Threads on the mandrels that I have are 1/4-28.I have bought brass replacement lamp finials with the same thread size and pitch.

Dario

Thanks guys,

The A mandrel is have is one from the Jet pen kit that came with my lathe. I recently bought another set from Woodcraft thinking that I needed one but actually not, it is still un-opened. I am not sure if any of them match Berea's size.

I just thought B mandrel may not fit since the MT2 arbor's threaded part seems very deep...meaning I have to insert the mandrel quite a ways before I hit the threaded part. This "corridor" is the part that worries me next to the thread size. I can remember that with WD40...while inserting the mandrel in it...I am creating a pressure inside pushing the mandrel back out so it is a tight fit.

Fred in NC

Dario: The Berea shaft has a 1/4-28 thread. It does not match the size or form of the Woodcraft shaft.

The knurled round nut is the same in both kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom