Trivia Winners Feb 20th

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phunky_2003

There were 116 entries for the Feb 20th trivia:

The winners of the Feb 20th contest are:

nylajune

Soligen

Day 20. What species of wood is Cordia dodecandra commonly known as?

A. Zircote

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

I would like to remind winners that the prize you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of the IAP. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize.

phillywood

James, I am sorry to inform you that the Zircote, is name of the tree and the wood that comes from it, not the name of the species.
If you google cordia dedecandra then you get this.

About 8,990 results (0.27 seconds)

Search Results

1. <LI style="POSITION: relative" class="g knavi">
    Cordia dodecandra - WoodworkersSource.com

Information on Canalete, Freijo, Laurel, Peterebi, Siricote, Ziricote - Cordia dodecandra.
    www.woodworkerssource.com/online_show_wood.php?... Cordia%20dodecandra - Cached - Similar

► <LI class="g knavi">
    Ziricote (Cordia dodecandra)

Scientific Name: Cordia dodecandra. Common Name: Ziricote. Family: X. Type: Tropical Hardwood. Other names: Sericote. Sources: Southern Mexico, Belize, ...
    www.worldtimbercorp.com/Ziricote.htm - Cached - Similar

2. [PDF] Cordia dodecandra A. DC.

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
    Cordia dodecandra is native to America. It is distributed natu- rally in Mexico, Guatemala, ... Cordia dodecandra is a deciduous tree of up to 30 m in ...
    www.rngr.net/publications/ttsm/species/PDF.2004-01-12.../file - Similar

but, if you google the species for the cordia dodecandra as you asked:What species of wood is Cordia dodecandra commonly known ?

About 5,950 results (0.35 seconds)

Search Results

1. <LI style="POSITION: relative" class="g knavi">
    Cordia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many of the species are commonly called manjack, while bocote may refer to several Central ... A number of the tropical species have edible fruits, known by a wide variety of ... The wood of several Cordia species is commercially harvested. ... Bird Lime Tree (Tropical Asia and Australasia); Cordia dodecandra DC. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordia - Cached - Similar

2. Cordia dodecandra - WoodworkersSource.com

Botanical Name: Cordia dodecandra ... Distribution: Several species in the hard- wooded or dark-colored Gerascanthus group of the genus Cordia are reported ...
    www.woodworkerssource.com/online_show_wood.php?wood= Cordia%20dodecandra - Cached - Similar
So, I think you meant what's the common name for the Cordia dodecandra?

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

What species of wood is Cordia dodecandra commonly known as?

He asked for the common name of the of the species, Phil reread the question..

James, I am sorry to inform you that the Zircote, is name of the tree and the wood that comes form it, not the name of the species.
If you google

Pete275

According to "The Real Wood Bible" by Nick Gibbs, ziricote, ziracote, or also sericote would all be correct answers. Although not listed in the "Bible" as zircote, an online search for zircote leads you to Cordia Dodecandra. So I guess all of the above must be technically correct. That being said, Congrats to the winners, nylajune, and Soligen now on to the next question. This is fun!

Wayne

Phunky_2003

According to "The Real Wood Bible" by Nick Gibbs, ziricote, ziracote, or also sericote would all be correct answers. Although not listed in the "Bible" as zircote, an online search for zircote leads you to Cordia Dodecandra. So I guess all of the above must be technically correct. That being said, Congrats to the winners, nylajune, and Soligen now on to the next question. This is fun!

Wayne

All those were accepted answers.

phillywood

He asked for the common name of the of the species, Phil reread the question..

James, I am sorry to inform you that the Zircote, is name of the tree and the wood that comes form it, not the name of the species.
If you google

Roy, Zircote is not name of a species, it's one of the woods within the species and he is asking "What species of wood" therefore the correct anser is as such.
Ziricote (C. dodecandra) is known as belonging to Cordia species

"The wood of several Cordia species is commercially harvested. Ecuador Laurel (C. alliodora), Ziricote (C. dodecandra), Spanish Elm (C. gerascanthus), and C. goeldiana are used to make furniture and doors in Central and South America"

My concern here is to learn the right thing not what he meant to say.

I am saying that qsn. was not worded correctly to express his intentions.

Last edited:

IPD_Mrs

I have to agree with Phil on this one. We answered the same way based on a google search. The technically correct answer should be ziricote not zircote.

Phunky_2003

Sorry for not replying to this sooner. I have been under the weather and had dr. appt today.

Hopefully I can end this debate before it gets out of hand.

Zircote was the answer I came up with when asking the question. When the answers started coming in I did more research. Looking at "The Real Wood Bible" and going through searches I realized Ziricote, Zircote, Sericote and Ciricote should all be accepted.

In my rush to get to the Dr. I copy and pasted the answer that we originally came up with, not the revised. The number generator selected the 2 winners first time, so there is no unfair biased selection process.

Phunky_2003

Please feel free to continue posting here or PM me for any other questions. Like I said I am under the weather but will continue to check PMs and answer questions.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Always recall on the trivia, winning is a TWO step process:

FIRST the random number generator has to pick you and
SECOND you have to have an acceptable answer.

So, while I have nothing to do with the selection, I can guess that the answer would have to be clearly incorrect, if the random number generator PICKS someone, and the triviameister throws out the result based on a wrong answer.

Chances are (in actuality) 98 out of 100 that you were just NOT PICKED BY THE RANDOM NUMBER!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Heartbreaking, yes---but a statistically verifiable statement!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

randywa

Heartbreaking, yes---but a statistically verifiable statement!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:[/quote]

Is that the politically correct way to say " I'm probably telling the truth" ?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Heartbreaking, yes---but a statistically verifiable statement!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Is that the politically correct way to say " I'm probably telling the truth" ?[/quote]

A more correct interpretation: YOU LOST, GET OVER IT!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

IPD_Mrs

Thank you for your post James. I actually learned something new today. I did not know about the Sericote. As with many of the people that play the trivia games we are more concerned about learning and being able to say we got the answer correct. :)

Thank you for your post Ed as you broght so much to the table. :rolleyes:

phillywood

A more correct interpretation: YOU LOST, GET OVER IT!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:[/quote]

Ed, my participation is not for winning anything, I have expressed my gratitude for learning in the process of playing this trivia. I have stated to this effect in my previous posts.

JerrySambrook

GEE, The way I read it, the common name was asked for.

Typically, unless one is "excessive", we use the common names for items.

READ the question. The last few words said COMMONLY KNOW AS.

And Linda, or Mike, whichever one posted since you folks want to keep all of us guessing, your colors do show as well.

lastly, do you really think he would GIVE THE ANSWER IN THE QUESTION?

THINK

IPD_Mrs

And Linda, or Mike, whichever one posted since you folks want to keep all of us guessing, your colors do show as well.

lastly, do you really think he would GIVE THE ANSWER IN THE QUESTION?

THINK

Jerry,

No one is keeping you guessing - I sign everything I write as I have stated before.

I have been reading this but until now haven't felt a need to post - What brought this point out? No one has said anything about him giving the answer to the question IN THE QUESTION as far as I have seen. Admittedly I could have missed something - given that I am human.

Mrs.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

A more correct interpretation: YOU LOST, GET OVER IT!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ed, my participation is not for winning anything, I have expressed my gratitude for learning in the process of playing this trivia. I have stated to this effect in my previous posts.[/quote]

To Phil and all other members!!

I am not looking to be argumentative or preach.

However, I have been part of the "Bash team" for three years now and have observed that the Triviameister positions have the highest turnover of any of the "chairpersons".

These guys attempt to construct questions that will be interesting and informative. To the best of my knowledge, none of them is professionally engaged in the business of constructing tests. (Oh, and the SAT's usually have a few questions each year that get this same scrutiny--even though those "authors" are professional). So, I hope to treat these matters with levity (humor) and possibly have the same Triviameisters NEXT year.

If we all look for the holes in their questions, please be prepared to volunteer for that job, in the future. We'll see if you can construct 15 or so "bulletproof" questions.

I will now pack up my soapbox and move along.
As you were!!:confused::confused::confused:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
"If we all look for the holes in their questions, please be prepared to volunteer for that job, in the future. We'll see if you can construct 15 or so "bulletproof" questions."

BINGO!!!!!!

IPD_Mrs

James has answered the question as to what was considered and acceptable answer and I appreciate his candor. Aside from all of this and by no means trying to take away anything from the winners, maybe someone could answer a question about the wood. I have searched for this and cannot get anything concrete. Maybe someone with the wood bible can look at this. Is Zircote and Ziricote the same thing just a spelling variation. From what I can gather information wise, Ziricote is the proper spelling and Zircote is a slang spelling but accepted.

arioux

Google search return 50,000 result for one and 60,000 for the other. I'd say they are commonly used all over the place.

Zircote will return mostly english result

Ziricote will return english, french german and some stange language pages.

So zircote is probably an english "accepted error" that make it's way thru time when ziricote seems to be the real things

Just a deduction from the search engine result

arioux

Just a tough:

The effort: few minutes of our time searching

The prizes: 56 x at least $25. value

Cost of participation : $0

The fun we have : PRICELESS

THE BASH TEAM IS DOING A WONDERFULL JOB !!!!!!!!

Please gang support them and just keep smiling. There will be error or misinterpretation. After all, they are human, even ED.

Let's keep the fun in the shop (my father prefered citation!)

And make shure the guys don't apply the rule "this year party is canceled because of last year party" ! My boss favorite citation :)

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just a tough:

The effort: few minutes of our time searching

The prizes: 56 x at least $25. value

Cost of participation : $0

The fun we have : PRICELESS

THE BASH TEAM IS DOING A WONDERFULL JOB !!!!!!!!

Please gang support them and just keep smiling. There will be error or misinterpretation. After all, they are human, even ED.

Let's keep the fun in the shop (my father prefered citation!)

And make shure the guys don't apply the rule "this year party is canceled because of last year party" ! My boss favorite citation :)

Thanks!!! That's the NICEST thing I have been called, today!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

zig613

Wow!!! How about everyone take a pill and relax. Lets remember kids that it is only a game! Lets move on and be thankful that we have volunteers that commit thier time so that the rest of us to have a little bit of fun.

To all the organizers of the trivia game....... THANKS!!!!!!!

Wade

phillywood

well, again my comment was misconstrued and misunderstood, all I am trying to learn is what specie the zircote (or any variation of it) is from, thank you.
BTW, no one was trying to not apprecaite what James or Ed or displaced Canadian were doing for the fun of this bash. :)

Top Bottom