The Ugly Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

The Ugly Pen Contest

To Enter This Contest!: THE ENTRY FORM

Welcome to the Ugly Pen Contest! My name is Scott Greaves, and I am in charge of this contest. If you have any question or comment about this contest, please either send me a message through the IAP site, or an E-Mail at ugly@penturners.org. I made up the rules for this contest, and I would be happy to make up some new ones to get myself out of a jam if needed!

This is not a serious contest, although in many ways it may resemble one. It is a contest for serious penturners to use to blow off some steam! Reading anything more into it can lead down that dark and dangerous path to madness! Some have suggested over the years that I helped found the IAP just so I could run this Ugly Pen Contest. I will not stoop to comment on those obviously plausible accusations!

Foremost, this contest involves showing strange and disgusting things that somewhat resemble pens, so that we can all make rude comments to each other about them! This year there will be no judges. I don't have that many friends left that I can risk loosing them by making them judge these atrocities! So this year YOU will be the judges! That's right, at the end of the submission period I will set up a poll, and through your votes you will decide who has the ugliest pens! And with that, the rules:

1) Your entry must be a pen, i.e. If you could bring yourself to handle it, it would theoretically write.

2) You may submit up to two entries, although I can't imagine why you would want to admit to making this kind of mistake more than once!

3) Entries are submitted by completing this entry form: THE ENTRY FORM! You must include at least one image, or up to three images, of the pen-like item, with or without accompanying story. I encourage you to include a story – we like to watch you squirm! I also prefer that you name your entry, but if you don't I will make up a suitably horrid name. The entry form will require you to include both your screen name and your real name, and your mailing address. This is only for the purpose of awarding prizes. I will not post any identifying information here besides your screen name. Entries posted on this forum will be deleted. You must use THE ENTRY FORM to submit an entry. Don't make us come hunting for you!

4) Entries will be accepted from Monday the 1st of February until Midnight (The Witching Hour) Eastern time on Saturday the 12th of February. The Ugly Pen Poll will then be posted by Noon on Sunday the 13th of February (Lucky 13th!). You will then have until Midnight (again, The Witching Hour) on Saturday February 19th to vote in the poll. Winners will be announced by Noon on Sunday the 20th of February. Your decision will be final! In the unlikely case of a tie, I will flip a coin, read some tea leaves, or maybe just make a wild guess to decide the winner.

5) Prizes will be awarded in three categories:
a) Worst Looking Normal Pen. This is the category for those who tried to make a nice pen, but it turned out ugly!
b) Most Disgusting Pen. This is for those of you with the perverse sense of humor, but please, I don't want to see a whole string of Ca-ca pens, and no human reproductive organ pens! Remember, this is a family site!
c) Just Butt Ugly Pen. This is kind of the all-encompassing category for the entry that is truly just the ugliest around!
Please note that THE ENTRY FORM will require you to choose if you are entering for the a) Worst Looking Normal Pen or for the b) Most Disgusting Pen category, or both. All entries will be considered for the c) Just Butt Ugly Pen category!

6) A single entry may win more than one prize, in other words, winning in one category does not disqualify the entry from winning in another category.

7) All entry images and comments become the property of the IAP, to use, or dispose of, as they wish. Yes, blackmail a few years from now is a definite possibility!

8) All entries will be posted by me in this forum after I have received them by means of THE ENTRY FORM. Have patience! I am not that fast. I will get your entries posted as quickly as I am able.

9) You may comment on the entries that I post here, but do not post entries here yourself, and please do not re-post entries with your comment, although you may include one of the entry photos to demonstrate a point (or just to gross people out!).

Now, lets start seeing some entries!

To Enter This Contest!: THE ENTRY FORM

Scott.

Scott

I have heard from the prize committee, and we will have three prizes for each category in this year's Ugly Pen Contest! We will award a First, Second, and Third prize for each of the three categories. So start digging out those Ugly Pens, and lets get a competition going!

Scott.

Scott

Eye Candy!

I am proud to present our first entry in the Ugly Pen Contest. And what a way to begin! There is no doubt that this is the appropriate contest for this pen. Ugly, ugly, ugly!

Submitted by : Buzzzz4

Pen Name : Eye Candy

Pen Story : I have had this blank for quite a while and could not think of a good reason to use it for anything beautiful, and I wouldn't gift if to my worst enemy. I also work in the health care field and have found some coworkers to be squeemish and disgusted by the eye. So what a better combination and I present to you....Eye Candy!

077d.jpg

e77a.jpg

5237.jpg

Last edited:

Padre

Whoa....I was gonna' enter but holy cow, that one is UGGGGGLLLYYYY

Phunky_2003

Wow thats ugly. I think its looking at me...... well actually its looking at all of us.

MOM iTs lOOKING AT ME...... MAKE IT STOP!

Buzzzz4

My wife couldn't even touch it or look at it. She got really creeped out by it. I wish I could provide a video of how the eyes move as you write with it.

Scott

Yes, the gauntlet has been thrown down (or is that "thrown up"?). It's time to get your Ugly on! Eric's pen is a contender for sure, but I KNOW there are lots of UGLY PENS out there! So come on, get those entries turned in!

Scott.

maxman400

I just can't successfully submit an entry. It just freezes up. Probably the dial-up connection. What else can I do?

I had Issues also, trying to meet the file size it kept saying HUGE FILE on the right side of the screen, so I kept reducing it in size until I got it to except it, even though I was between the 600 and 800 size limit my file was bigger than 150k so I had to reduce it some more to get it to go.

MartinPens

Throw it in the fire!

I still can't get those eyes out of my mind!! But,.... here's my disaster. I keep it as a reminder not to take myself too seriously.

Yes, it's a twig and a an acorn. Inspiring, huh?

Martin

(See the Entry Below - Scott)

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Cloudy Times

Here is our next entry in the Ugly Pen Contest. This one is entered in the Worst Looking Normal Pen category, as it was intended to be a nice pen, and just turned out Ugly.

User Name: maxman400

Pen Name: Cloudy Times

Pen Story : This was an attempt to make a clear see through Watch Pen, HOW EVER it did not work out that way. I believe that I did not allow enough time for the CA to dry completely and it caused the Alumilite to fog up. Also I did not rough up the plastic tubes and there is some separation on them also. "Believe It Or Not" I have had people try to buy it but I won't sell it.

8c90.jpg

5a43.jpg

a3a9.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Disturbing Twig Pen with Acorn

Here is another happy mistake of a pen entered in the Most Disgusting Pen category. And it is disgusting!

User Name: MartinPens

Pen Name: Disturbing Twig Pen with Acorn

Pen Story : I was hiking and thought I would grab a branch and acorn to make a pen out of. I did. It's horrible. Now it's here as an entry to remind me not to ever take myself too serious!

dab6.jpg

Scott

There are some restrictions on the size of the photo that can be uploaded. Not only the pixel size, but also the file size. So when you're resizing your photos for upload, don't just adjust it to size, but also for resolution.

If you're still having problems getting your entry to upload, please drop me an E-Mail at the ugly@penturners.org address. We'll find a way to do it!

Scott.

randywa

My Ugly

It's blackwood, bloodwood, black walnut, leopardwood, and maple. I no longer drink while gluing things together.

(See the Entry Below - Scott)

Last edited by a moderator:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have given the link to fotosizer on the entry form. If you are having trouble meeting the file size restriction, use fotosizer and all will be well. I have never posted a photo on IAP that was over 100k and all of my photos look just fine.

Scott

It's blackwood, bloodwood, black walnut, leopardwood, and maple. I no longer drink while gluing things together.

Hey Randy!

Nice pen! Are you sure it's Ugly? If so, use the entry form to enter it in the contest. Otherwise it's just show-and-tell! :cool:

Scott.

penmaker1967

ugly pen

here is my entry for the contest. it was the first pen i ever done before

Attachments

• pens 5 005.jpg
    pens 5 005.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 247
  • pens 5 006.jpg
    pens 5 006.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 238

Scott

My Ugly

Here is our next contender! An obnoxious mix of nice joinery and poor planning! This pen was supposed to look nice, but ended up bad.

User Name: randywa

Pen Name: My Ugly

Pen Story : Blackwood,bloodwood, blackwalnut, maple, leopardwood

168f.jpg

Scott

Clown Pen

I hope you're all ready for the next entry in this pen freak-show! Our friend MSGMP brings us this tribute to clowns. And just like clowns, while seeming simple and funny on the surface, this pen is evil and horrible when you really look at it!

User Name: MSGMP

Pen Name: Clown Pen

Pen Story : My first attempt at scalloped segments. Thought it would look good with the Padauk and Walnut but when it was finished, all I could think of was a big top tent and clowns. I was harassed by a customer until I finally gave in and sold it.

8370.jpg

Top Bottom