The Modified Cigar pen contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Welcome to the The IAP Birthday Bash .
As some of you may know , I think that the Cigar pen kit is one of the most modifiable kits of all ballpoint pen kits , even more so then the Slimline pen kits . Here's your chance to prove it . Any modification that can be made with a Slimline kit can be made with a Cigar kit and more .
This is a contest to find the most modified Cigar pen made by a member for this contest . It is open to all members and there are some great prizes to be won . I have tried to keep the rules as simple as I can so that everyone can compete on a equal basis .

Rules for the Modified Cigar pen contest are ;

1 - Must use a Cigar kit Nib/Nosecone , cigar transmission and cigar clip .
2 - The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown before Feb 1 2011 .
3 - Winners will be chosen by Fit , Finish and the type and amount of the modification , so take the best pictures you can since this is all we will have to judge the quality of the fit and finish . To keep the thread to a manageable size I ask that you only post two (2) pictures per person please .
4 - A panel of judges will choose the top 5 pens in each contest and the final 3 will be chosen by an open poll .
5 - Prizes will be awarded for first , second and third places .

A word about SAFETY . Modifying pen kits require some skills not normally required in making a stock pen kit . Always think about what you are doing and if it don't seem safe then don't do it without checking on the safety of the process . While we want to see some wild modifications we want you to complete your pen without incident or accidents . PLEASE play safe !!!

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have .

Now let's see some wild Cigar pens !!!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

The contest opens on February 1 , 2011 at 12:01 AM and closes on February 19 , 2011 at 11:59 PM . No entries will be accepted after this time , NO EXCEPTIONS .

soligen

Butch

I see the freestyle conest has an entry form so the submitter is unknown to the judges. Are your contests being done the same way or do we just post to the thread?

ldb2000

No , I'm not using the form this time around . All entries will be made by the entrants to this thread . One entry per contest and Two photos per entry , also include a short description of your pen .

turbowagon

Here's my entry. It was exciting to make since it was my first attempt at a modified cigar. Thanks for organizing this, Butch!

Masur Birch from Finland
Modified cigar ballpoint with black titanium plating
CA finish

Modifications:
- one piece design, with nib-activated refill
- matching finial with integrated threads
- matching nib trim band

masur_birch_one_piece_cigar_800.JPG

- Joe

splinter99

Here is my modified cigar entry. The center coupler is turned down and hiddin inside the upper barrel. The upper barrel is longer than the lower barrel. The finial and nib trim ring are both made from cocobolo. The woods are cocobolo, blood wood and black and red veneer
penssb03050.jpg

penssb02750.jpg

David M

Peak a boo Window
Custom cigar that still have the cigar look .
center band upper - replace with custom
nib band replaced
DSC01748.jpg

and a close up on the window
DSC01711.jpg

David

Sylvanite

Here's my entry. Curly maple with african blackwood accents.
ModifiedCigar.jpgModifiedCigarNib.jpg

The nib (it is a cigar kit nib) is cut at a 22.5 degree angle as are all the wood segments. The cigar kit clip is recessed and the pen uses a stock cigar kit transmission, refill, spring and a slightly shortened 8mm kit tube. The nib and centerband couplers are modified to take a 7mm tube, and the remainder of the kit parts went unused. I hope you like it.

Regards,
Eric

Atherton Pens

Entry for the modified cigar.

Mesquite with gun metal components.

Modification is simple, used two lower tubes. Turned both top and bottom to match center coupling ring and did not use the center band.

Finished with BLO/CA, MM to 12K then one step polish and wax.

index.php

Atherton Pens

Modified Cigar

Ok, I'll try again to attach the image of the modified cigar. Previous post has the details. (I'm just not too bright sometimes, OK most of the time!)

Attachments

• CB-less Cigar.jpg
    CB-less Cigar.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 158

soligen

Here is my submission.

Redheart, Figured Walnut, African Blackwood, and Brass.

The nose cone was ground at an angle, which is echoed in the segmentation, and I converted the kit into a finial operated design. All parts used were modified except the tranmission. I also removed the plating from the nose cone, leaving brass to match the segmentation.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 870
  • IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 60

soligen

Early in the month I went and added my last name to my profile so I can participate in bash activities. I just now noticed that it isn't being picked up in my signature, and I cant find a way to directly change my signature.

My last name is in my profile if you want to see it.

I hope this doesn't disqualify me - I put a lot of effort into this contest.

Edit: I finally found where to update my signature.

Last edited:

hilltopper46

African Blackwood and Brass

Here is my entry. African blackwood with brass inlaid on a curve. Modified centerband.

Finish is CA, MM to 12K, and a polish with TurtleWax cream rubbing compound.

Attachments

• IMGP3481.JPG
    IMGP3481.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMGP3483.JPG
    IMGP3483.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Sylvanite

Dennis,

That is a fantastic looking pen. I really like how the color progresses along the body, and how that is reflected in the segmentation. The finial operation is a great mod too. I'm sure you overcame some interesting mechanical problems putting that together (the hardest part on my pen was getting the hidden clip done at an angle). Just out of curiosity, where does the pen come apart to change the refill? I can think of a few different options, and am wondering which you chose.

Regards,
Eric

ldb2000

My hats off to all of the entries so far , they are awesome examples of just what can be done with the lowly cigar kit . You should all be very proud of the work that you have done so far .
There is still some time left so if you are working on your entry , keep at it , the bar is raised quite high but there is room for more .

The contest closes Saturday night 2/19/11 at 11:59 PM EST

MarkD

This is my modified cigar pen entry. Actually it's a modified cigar twist pencil rather than a pen.
My goal was to streamline the pencil and to elinimate all the black kit components.
Desert Ironwood with gold hardware. CA finish.

Modifications:
* Longer lower barrel to eliminate nib trim band
* Longer upper barrel to eliminate center band
* Matching finial
DSC01879.JPG

DSC01881.JPG

workinforwood

Meet "Shopzilla" ! Not a pen that fits my inventory, but definitely a cool pen to use in the shop. A total aluminum experience, finial twist activator which also acts as a pen stand containing not one lowly cigar kit nib, but 4! Yea...you said I have to use a cigar kit nib, but didn't say where. :tongue::biggrin:

I sure wish I could give ya better photo's. My camera is awesome, and I have tons of lights, but I can never get the lighting right and never manage to get the focus spread evenly across the pen..drives me bonkers.

Edit...new photo's..these are a bit better..tried a regular lens instead of macro and went out into the freezing cold to take photo's.

shopzilla4.jpg

shopzilla5.jpg

Last edited:

maxman400

I Don't Know???????? Is 4 pens kits in 1 Pen legal, LOL .... I Like it and Butch did say
"Now let's see some wild Cigar pens !!!"
Way to go Jeff.

workinforwood

thanks Max..it'll be a way cool pen for personal use in my shop and conversation. If you set it down, it can't roll and it stands up on end like a rocket too. I thought it was a clever way to have to use a cigar kit nib and I have a ton of discarded ones, so I just blew threw at least a few. :biggrin:

I just wish I could take good photo's..I can't get the camera to focus the length of the pen..even with manual focus I can only seem to capture one end or the other in focus. :mad:

shopzilla6.jpg

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jeff, when Gerry was still around, he answered that problem for me.
Use the zoom lens. Move the camera further away and then zoom in to fill the frame. I never use the macro function unless I need a serious close up. All my pics are taken with the camera at least two foot away.

johncrane

Cigar Contest

My entry the pen has a cut down Retro final and is threaded and attached to the cigar clip the finial is also matching Lucite! the center band is Retro with a matching Lucite band the Nib band is also matching Lucite all reverse painted.

Attachments

• 100_1724.JPG
    100_1724.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_1757.JPG
    100_1757.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 95

mrrichieboy

Segmented Cigar for the Modified Cigar Contest

Here is my entry. One piece with a segmented Maple & Cocobolo body, mounted on the Hybrid Cigar with Black Ti & Platinum. 15 coats of CA sanded to 12,000mm and polished with PlastX.

Was on vacation and just saw the contest today...see now that it's too late, but will share these anyway...just finished last night.
---Rich

Attachments

• 1 piece cigar Maple-Cocobolo segmented Plat-Black Ti 2.jpg
    1 piece cigar Maple-Cocobolo segmented Plat-Black Ti 2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 1 piece cigar Maple-Cocobolo segmented Plat-Black Ti 3.jpg
    1 piece cigar Maple-Cocobolo segmented Plat-Black Ti 3.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Contest is closed and judging is going on, but man, look at the QUALITY of the entries---

All these guys deserve a prize!!

GREAT work.

greggas

Here is my entry. One piece with a segmented Maple & Cocobolo body, mounted on the Hybrid Cigar with Black Ti & Platinum. 15 coats of CA sanded to 12,000mm and polished with PlastX.

Was on vacation and just saw the contest today...see now that it's too late, but will share these anyway...just finished last night.
---Rich

Rich;

awesome, very original blank...nice work!

LouCee

My entry the pen has a cut down Retro final and is threaded and attached to the cigar clip the finial is also matching Lucite! the center band is Retro with a matching Lucite band the Nib band is also matching Lucite all reverse painted.

John,

I love your entry. Pairing the cigar and retro hardware looks great! The great blank wraps it up nicely. Very inspiring.

Chad

hewunch

John,

I love your entry. Pairing the cigar and retro hardware looks great! The great blank wraps it up nicely. Very inspiring.

Chad

John would have had my vote too. I thought his was the most visually stunning of the group. Great work.

Top Bottom