Freestyle Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Freestyle Pen Contest

PLEASE USE THE ENTRY FORM HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY. PLEASE USE THE DESCRIPTION BOX TO EXPLAIN THE INTRICATE DETAILS OF YOUR WORK.THIS WILL HELP THE JUDGES IN GRADING YOUR ENTRY. YOU MAY INCLUDE UP TO 3 (THREE) PHOTOS OF YOUR ENTRY TO HELP FULLY SHOW YOUR ENTRY.
Only one entry per person.

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR ENTRY DIRECTLY TO THIS THREAD. ONLY ENTRIES SUBMITTED VIA THE ENTRY LINK WILL BE ELIGIBLE.

The Rules are simple: The objective is to make a functional pen. Only pens that are new to the site this month will be eligible. Not important when you started, it just has to be a pen that wasn't shown prior to February 1st 2010.

*All entries must be submitted by7:00 PM EST on Feb 19th.
*7:01 is too late.
Please do not wait until the last minute.

Judging this year will again be a 2 part process. First a secret panel of judges will pick the top 4 pens, then we will post the top 3 to a poll to let users vote for the winners. The poll will be posted on Feb 20th, and voting will end at 9:30 PM Mountain time on Feb26th.

Winners will be announced Feb27th.

This contest is open to anybody who wants to compete. Any and all styles of pen will work. While "Kit Pens" will be allowed, this is a freestyle contest so strive to think "outside the box" a bit. Qualities to be taken into consideration will be:

Originality
Workmanship
Functionality (remember it must be a usable, working pen)
Overall "WOW factor"

Each of these qualities will carry equal weight during the judging so keep that in mind as you plan, prepare and finish your entry.

The 1st place winner will have the option to donate (as we did last year) the winning entry to IAP (Jeff) OR keep their creation.
I'd like to see the donation and receipt of the previous years' entry become a yearly tradition. I can't force that to happen so for those who "are not in it for the prize money" you still have that choice. Last year it was worded as a requirement to donate it. That requirement upset some so here is my compromise.
The pros and cons of the choice are as follows:

If you choose to go with the donation option you will receive the following:

1) Bragging Rights of winning
2) A commemorative plaque to hang in the shop (or wherever)
3) The 1st place prize package
4) You will receive last years winning entry to add to your collection

If you choose the non-donation option you will receive the following:

1) Bragging rights of winning
2) A commemorative plaque to hang in the shop (or wherever)
3) You keep your own pen to do with as you please

In the event the winner opts to keep the entry, the prizes will shift down one place.
For example--- 1st prize to 2nd place, 2nd prize to 3rd place, 3rd prize to "almost made it" (4th place)

---Prizes
These places will be based on the user votes.

1st place ---TBA
2nd place---TBA
3rd place---TBA

***These winners will be decided by the judges/random draw***

Almost Made It (4th place) - For the pen that almost made it into the voting but didn't.
TBA

Random Voter - This one is simple, all you have to do is follow along with the thread and vote for your favorite pen. I will randomly pick one voter from the list, and give you a prize. Be sure to post that you have voted.

Prize donation by Hunter-27

Box of blanks and a De-burring tool

Basic Rules Recap

• Entry must be a working/usable pen.
  • You can enter only once. You should try to take the best pictures (up to 3) possible. While this is not a photo contest, judges will be using the photos to quantify the quality of the pen. (i.e. If the pen appears out of round in the pictures the judges will have to assume it is out of round.)
  • In the event of a tie in the public poll, the winner will be decided by the judges.
  • Entries should be posted to this forum topic.
  • Have Fun!!!!
PLEASE USE THE ENTRY FORM HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY.

Any questions can be sent to me via a PM (user name Hunter-27) or directly to me at iapbirthday@gmail.com

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Prizes for the Freestyle Pen Contest are as follows:

1st Place-Winners Plaque and A Woodchuck with custom engraved handle donated by Bitshird

2nd Place-Hand cast sterling silver fountain pen hardware donated by mredburn

3rd Place-14kt gold italic nib donated by the Golden Nib

4th Place-Box of stabilized blanks and a de-burring tool donated by Hunter-27

Random Voter Prize- Box of blanks and a de-burring tool donated by Hunter-27

The 1st place winner will have the option to donate (as we did last year) the winning entry to IAP (Jeff) OR keep their creation.
If the winner chooses the DONATION option, once their donation is received by Jeff, they will also be sent last years winning entry to add to their collection.

In the event the winner opts to keep the entry, the prizes will shift down one place. Refer to original thread for more details.

Now get out there and get FREESTYLING! :RockOn:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Can an entry be posted in SOYP as well as entered in the contest??
Great question, you are not the only one to ask. I was planning the entry form to allow some anonymity to the entries so there was no "good ole boy" voting when it comes to the polls. I am in conference with some of my fellow team members to determine how to best approach it. Ideally I would like it to not be posted with identifying info until after the Bash but hold off for now and let us decide if the anonymous entry is needed. Thanks for posting the question. I had planned to address it but was waiting on some feedback from my team. This just prompted me to get on it.:wink:
In summary, please hold off for now on posting anything to a thread like SOYP for now. I'll post an "Oficial" decision regarding this as soon as there is one.

hewunch

Can an entry be posted in SOYP as well as entered in the contest??
Great question, you are not the only one to ask. I was planning the entry form to allow some anonymity to the entries so there was no "good ole boy" voting when it comes to the polls. I am in conference with some of my fellow team members to determine how to best approach it. Ideally I would like it to not be posted with identifying info until after the Bash but hold off for now and let us decide if the anonymous entry is needed. Thanks for posting the question. I had planned to address it but was waiting on some feedback from my team. This just prompted me to get on it.:wink:
In summary, please hold off for now on posting anything to a thread like SOYP for now. I'll post an "Oficial" decision regarding this as soon as there is one.

I am pretty sure there wasn't much (if any) "good ole boy" voting last year. If there was, I am pretty sure, I would not have placed at all.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
ATTENTION FREESTYLERS!!!
My team and I discussed it and we would like to keep the entries anonymous. The results will be posted on the 27th so if everyone could please hold off on putting their pens any any other threads until the contest is over I would appreciate it. I'm not saying there was or was not any "good ole boy" voting last year but I'm trying to simply eliminate another variable in the contest. I do not want to have to leave any entries out for something so silly so please honor this request to keep it anonymous for 27 days. At that time we will all know who did what and everyone can and will get the recognition they deserve. Thanks to all in advance for your help with this.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
ATTENTION FREESTYLERS!!!
My team and I discussed it and we would like to keep the entries anonymous. The results will be posted on the 27th so if everyone could please hold off on putting their pens any any other threads until the contest is over I would appreciate it. I'm not saying there was or was not any "good ole boy" voting last year but I'm trying to simply eliminate another variable in the contest. I do not want to have to leave any entries out for something so silly so please honor this request to keep it anonymous for 27 days. At that time we will all know who did what and everyone can and will get the recognition they deserve. Thanks to all in advance for your help with this.
Good idea. Might be interesting to have a contest at the end to see who can match the most usernames to the pens. Add to the fun.

hewunch

Does that mean, if one should enter that s/he should refrain from using backdrops, props etc that they commonly use?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
This will be my first time at an anonymous entried contest using photos so bear with me while I finalize these decisions on the fly. I'm taking notes so next time these questions can be answered in the rules ahead of time. Sorry Don, but I do think that might give too big a clue as to your ID.:biggrin:

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
2010 WINNER

I was asked to show last years winner here so everyone could see so here it is by mredburn:

Solid Sterling Silver modified cigar, one of Exotics fine blanks using the left overs to inlay into the clip,c/b. nib, and finial. I used a brushed silver coupler for the transmission. The center band fits down over the coupler hiding it entirely. <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attachments

• 2010 winner 2.jpg
    2010 winner 2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 2010 winner 3.jpg
    2010 winner 3.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 2010 winner 4.jpg
    2010 winner 4.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 2010 winner 5.jpg
    2010 winner 5.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 2010 winner.jpg
    2010 winner.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 106

workinforwood

Good idea. Might be interesting to have a contest at the end to see who can match the most usernames to the pens. Add to the fun.[/quote]

If I find time to make a pen, you think you could tell which was mine Bruce? :biggrin:

Still though..I think anonymous sounds like a great idea!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Contest Entry #1

Description : Escheresque - 360 degree intermeshing seahorse pattern on bottom in the style of the great artist M.C. Escher. Cap features seaweed pattern with cast sterling silver clip

Attachments

• entry1a.jpg
    entry1a.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 157
  • entry1b.jpg
    entry1b.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 157
  • entry1c.jpg
    entry1c.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 112

terryf

Well I ran out of CA last night so I couldn't finish my entry - just picked up three bottles now so hopefully my entry will be in later today or tomorrow :)

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Contest Entry #2

Description : This is a slim line with no finial or clip. It's a custom fishing rod pen with cocobolo wood for the rod handle. It has micro guides wraped on with blue and silver thread.

Attachments

• entry2a.jpg
    entry2a.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 139
  • entry2b.jpg
    entry2b.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 149
  • entry2c.jpg
    entry2c.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 98

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Contest Entry #3

Description : Quilted Maple and Alumilite. 5.75" capped, 5.0" uncapped. 9.71 grams uncapped, 15.5 grams capped.

Attachments

• entry3b.jpg
    entry3b.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 127
  • entry3a.jpg
    entry3a.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 172

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Contest Entry #4

Description : Hand cut leaves of assorted exotic woods cast in red, gold, bronze resin and adorned with hand spun brass hardware with folded brass clip.

Attachments

• entry4a.jpg
    entry4a.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 114
  • entry4b.jpg
    entry4b.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 127
  • entry4c.jpg
    entry4c.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 76

jttheclockman

Well I ran out of CA last night so I couldn't finish my entry - just picked up three bottles now so hopefully my entry will be in later today or tomorrow :)

I can't wait to see this pen. If it is going to take another 3 bottles of CA to finish it. I guess it will be called the CA pen and that is not California:)

terryf

hahahaha, John, dont hold your breath mate :biggrin:

I can't wait to see this pen. If it is going to take another 3 bottles of CA to finish it. I guess it will be called the CA pen and that is not California:)

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Contest Entry #5

Description : A Rhodium plated Junior Statesman dressed in Honduran Rosewood Burl.

Attachments

• entry5a.jpg
    entry5a.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 93
  • entry5b.jpg
    entry5b.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 88

Ironwood

I guess I should of held off posting pics of this one until now. :redface:

IMG_0455-1.JPGIMG_0457-1.JPGIMG_0462-1.JPG

It won the Slimline Challenge on the Aussie Woodworking forum, so I guess that also makes it ineledgable for this one.
The jointer ate my finger so I cant make another one for a while either :frown:.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Contest Entry #6

Red & Black Ebonite on a modified El Grande. Removed as much as the metal as I could. The center band metal ring removed. The metal ring at the nib end removed. The metal ring at the posting side removed. Body and cap each weighs 15 grams. Total weight of the pen is 30 grams.

Attachments

• entry6a.jpg
    entry6a.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 84
  • entry6b.jpg
    entry6b.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 78
Top Bottom