The Beginners Beautiful pen contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Welcome to the The IAP Birthday Bash .
This is a contest to find the most beautiful pen made by a beginner for this contest . It is open to any member who has been making pens less then six (6) months and there are some great prizes to be won . This contest is being held on the "honors system" since I can't actually check on how long you've been turning , I hope you will abide by this system . If you are a new member but have been making pens for longer then the last six (6) months there are still contests for you to enter and win so please let the real noobs have a chance to show their work and maybe win something .
I have tried to keep the rules as simple as I can so that everyone can compete on a equal basis .

The rules for The Beginners Beautiful pen contest are ;

1 - It must be a Ballpoint kit pen . No cap style or kitless pens will be accepted .
2 - The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown before Feb 1 2011 .
3 - Only one pen per person , so make it your best work . Take the best pictures you can because the quality of your pen will be based on what we can see . Keep your backgrounds and props simple so they do not distract the eye from your pen . To keep the thread to a manageable size I ask that you only post two (2) pictures per person please .
4 - Winners will be chosen based on the Fit and Finish of your pen . A panel of judges will choose the top 5 pens in each contest and the final 3 in each contest will be chosen by an open poll .
5 - Prizes will be awarded for first , second and third places .

Feel free to contact me by PM if you have any questions .

Now let's see some Beautiful pens !!!

Last edited:

ldb2000

The contest opens on February 1 , 2011 at 12:01 AM and closes on February 12 , 2011 at 11:59 PM . No entries will be accepted after this time , NO EXCEPTIONS .

penmaker1967

pen contest

here is my entry to the contest. it is a euro with mascar ebony blanks. the kit is a gun metal euro. hope u like

Attachments

• pens 5 011.jpg
    pens 5 011.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 168

USMCLtcol

Here is a spaulted oak on a gun metal European ball point pen.

1_IMG_2040__800x387_.jpg

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=17179

Last edited:

ldb2000

PLEASE EVERYONE !!!

Read the rules for all the different contests . This contest is for those who have been turning for LESS THEN 6 MONTHS . It was made for those people who might not have acquired all the skills yet , it gives them a chance to compete in a contest with others that are at the same skill level . If you have been making pens for years then enter your pens in one of the other contests . PLEASE be fair to the newbies out there and give them a chance to win .

Thank you

bking0217

Here's my entry. It's an Amboyna Burl platinum/black titanium Cubano cigar. CA finish, MM to 12,000 grit. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• abpbtcigar.jpg
    abpbtcigar.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 166

paps

Here's my entry...segmented reconstituted malachite on a sculpted kit. Thought I'd never get this turned before my tools got too short from sharpening:biggrin: Thanks for the fun birthday contests!

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 128
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 92

kevrob

We need to Have an intermediate contest! I just realized I won't qualify for this contest because I turned my first pen 7 1/2 months ago. :( Time flies when your having fun I guess. Best of luck to all!

bensoelberg

I'm in the same boat. I made my first sometime in July, so I'm just barely ineligible. Oh well, I guess we better push ourselves and enter something in the other contests.

We need to Have an intermediate contest! I just realized I won't qualify for this contest because I turned my first pen 7 1/2 months ago. :( Time flies when your having fun I guess. Best of luck to all!

kevrob

Maybe the ugly pen contest!:biggrin: lol I don't stand a chance against the pros here. And I say that with all due respect, the guys and gals here are awesome!

I'm in the same boat. I made my first sometime in July, so I'm just barely ineligible. Oh well, I guess we better push ourselves and enter something in the other contests.

maxman400

Maybe the ugly pen contest!:biggrin: lol I don't stand a chance against the pros here. And I say that with all due respect, the guys and gals here are awesome!

If You Don't try You will never WIN!!! You will find that you are your own worst critic. I have made some ugly Pens (IMHO) including the one that is currently in the ugly Pen contest, but there is always somebody out there that likes it. Including that one, go figure. :confused: So put your best foot forward and lets see what you got... :biggrin:

Rounder

My entry is my very first pen to make. I spent Sunday(2/7) afternoon with my son, Timebandit, so he could get me started in turning pens. He gave me a used lathe for my birthday in December. I haven't got to set mine up at home due to no shop and the wife won't let me do it in the house for some reason. He gave me good directions but all the work was done by me. Several hours to get 2 pens done, this one was finished first. Made from desert ironwood purchased from Shadetree_1. Beautiful wood it is.

Attachments

• IAP Beginners Pic 1.jpg
    IAP Beginners Pic 1.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IAP Beginners Pic 2.jpg
    IAP Beginners Pic 2.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

hiharry626

My classmate helped me take pictures after school :tongue: first pic doesn't really show off my pen... but it's me! :D
superharry626

Attachments

• D23_6612.jpg
    D23_6612.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 368
  • D23_6617.jpg
    D23_6617.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Dorgan

Here is my entry for the contest. I started turning just before Christmas and the pen I am submitting is the tenth pen I have made. It is a Baron pen made from Blue and Black acrylic acetate. It was hard to photograph such a dark pen, I guess I discovered another aspect of this great hobby - pen photographing!

Attachments

• Laura's pen.jpg
    Laura's pen.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 91
I'll throw one in...

This is a CSUSA Clicker in Chrome. I am working on my segmenting skills; this one with angle cut Walnut and Maple with a CA finish. The smaller segments are Maple and Walnut divided with aluminum from a pie tin and hotel room key card material.

Chris

Attachments

• Clicker Segmented Crop 2.jpg
    Clicker Segmented Crop 2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Clicker Segmented Crop 1.jpg
    Clicker Segmented Crop 1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 662

G1Pens

This is my entry for the Beginners Beautiful Pen Contest

I made my first pen on 11/7/10. Prior to that I had not done any workworking of any kind and definitely no turning.

This pen is my first attempt at segmenting. The center section is Lace Sheoak and Kiaat. The green bands are a Fir Green Acrylic and the top and bottom are Metallic Bronze Acrylic. The black and white are "credit cards". The pen is finished with CA and MM to 12000 with a final finish in Novus 2.

Attachments

• IMG_5716a-web.jpg
    IMG_5716a-web.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5718a-web.jpg
    IMG_5718a-web.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 678

Focushere

Here's one

I guess I'll enter this one. Since I posted a picture of my cigar label pens on 1/30/11 they don't qualify. This is a Majestic Squire with handmade acrylic blank.

Attachments

• MajesticSquire.jpg
    MajesticSquire.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 101

Reelix

Sorry but I might have made a mistake. I will blame it on inexperience or a Senior moment! How do I add a picture of my pen for the beginner pen contest.

Lee K

White Birch

My submission for the contest is this Slightly Spalted White Birch on an Antique Copper Slimline. CA Finish topped off with Ren.Wax

Should end up as a Valentines Gift for a Co-Workers hubby! Thanks for the opportunity, if nothing else .... I think I learned something with this submission -- "Make every pen like its for a contest". :biggrin:

Attachments

• WEB WhBirch1.jpg
    WEB WhBirch1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 60
  • WEB WhBirch2.jpg
    WEB WhBirch2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 41

Lee K

Sorry but I might have made a mistake. I will blame it on inexperience or a Senior moment! How do I add a picture of my pen for the beginner pen contest.
I save the picture on my computer (resize it to 'large document' ... about a 120kb final file size) then when you hit "reply", there is a little 'paperclip' symbol, click that and you can upload your picture!

USAFVET98

Dan,
This is a beautiful pen but unfortunately it does not qualify as it has a cap. Entries must be ball point pens as Butch stated in the rules.

Here is my entry for the contest. I started turning just before Christmas and the pen I am submitting is the tenth pen I have made. It is a Baron pen made from Blue and Black acrylic acetate. It was hard to photograph such a dark pen, I guess I discovered another aspect of this great hobby - pen photographing!

Dorgan

This is the first pen I ever turned, about 3-4 months ago. It is a Sierra pen, done in Bocote with Satin Gold. You always remember your first.

Attachments

• bocote pen.jpg
    bocote pen.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

keithkarl2007

Wow, you noobs are turning out some great pens, even the ones that don't qualify for the contest look brilliant. When it comes down to it, its gonna be a tough call. Still early days, so if you haven't yet, get your entries in.

MarkD

Wow. I'm having trouble keeping track of when all these contests end. I thought I had until the end of the month on this contest.

Mr Mac

Guess I need to get mine in as well. This was the first try for me (October 2010) using a blue and gold Acrylester acrylic blank and my first ever cigar pen.

DSC05554.jpg

RMckin5324

:rolleyes: Ok, well here is my entry into the Beginners Beautiful Pen contest. I wish there were two categories wood & alternative materials I had one of each I was trying to decide between. So I decided to enter my wood one here.
Its Rhodium Cigar pen on a Spalted Mango Blank all the way from Islands. Its the first Cigar pen I've made, and I now have another on the bench and its also the first pen I've ever finished with Enduro. I really like the Enduro it did a great job of finishing and has great depth that I don't think is really shone through the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_5136.jpg
    IMG_5136.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5138.jpg
    IMG_5138.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 35

MarkD

In an affort to show as much of this awesome Redwood Burl as possible I decided to modify a cigar pen to have a single long barrel. I used the original Nib, Nib adapter and Finial from the cigar pen but I turned the trim ring from the Twist Holder down to the diameter of the Twist Mechanism so that the whole pen mechanism would fit inside the barrel. The refill extends and retracts by twisting the nib. Unscrewing the nib gains access to the Parker refill.
DSC01814.JPG

DSC01812.JPG

snowb46

My Entry

Pic 1/2

Pic 2/2

This was fun to make. I believe this was my third pen. I have NO CLUE what kind of wood I used, it was all freebie stuff with no label(s).

GOGO

First time I've posted pictures.

This is Slimline kit in either a Paduka or a Chakte Viga. I received this blank in a woodturners grab bag. I've only been pen turning since Veteran's Day and I am proud how well this came out. If you know which wood it is please let me know.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome.

Attachments

• IAP_Entry1.JPG
    IAP_Entry1.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IAP_Entry2.JPG
    IAP_Entry2.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom