Suggestion for meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

I look at the work people do on here, and I am intimidated. I go see Jim (Corain King) and I am impressed with what he does. I am sure there are others from around here that are new and not to the skill level of you all, and many may feel under skilled or embarassed to show up (fortunatly I have no shame). Maybe demo's of more basic stuff would be a way to draw more. Maybe demo's of polishing a completed blank, or reverse painting. There may be a slim chance that someone finishes something one way that looks just as good as yours, with half the work (doubt it, but possible).

I am waiting for the project manager to get some information for me, so I am rambling.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aerotech

I can tell you that Ptown's finish is top notch beautiful. I can also tell you i have figured out how to reverse painting lucite to get a beautiful pen, with a lot of help from this site of coarse. I can also say that no one needs to feel intimidated because they may or may not be as skilled as some of the more experienced turners like Corian King, and yes, he is very skilled. The next time we put together a meeting I would encourage anyone to come along and if you want to see the basics then I'm sure all you would have to do is ask.

corian king

Hello Ed and Dale I just wanted to say thanks for the kind words about me.
But I am just a little fish in the sea.There is no need to be worried that your skills may not be up to others but everyone has to start somewhere.Just like me.even as long as I have been doing it I still ask questions from other turners.I don't mind helping anyone and my shop door is always open if need be.I had a nice vist from Ed today and we just sat around and talked shop.it was very nice.
Happy turning!!

edicehouse

I say we just meet up with Jim, bring Dr. Pepper and MT. Dew. I hear he has real good taco's. Just kidding!

I don't think my work is as horrible as I say, but it is a learning process.

When I was in High School I did house building. The owner of the company is now one of my best friends and he told me a story when I was 13. For years they did roof rafters the same way, and that was just how they were done. Some college kids were doing charity work, and they could barely swing a hammer. They came up with a much easier way to do rafters, that was the standard for many years (this was before the pre fabbed stuff). So you never know who you will learn stuff from.

I really don't know how this relates to anything in the post, but I just feel like talking to myself....

PTownSubbie

Ed,

I am like Jim and don't think anyone needs to be embarassed or worried at all about your skill level. Just ask Jim the next time you see him where I started 2 years ago.....He will just laugh as I did the last time we met. I didn't know $hit! Not that I know a lot more now, I am just more confident!! LOL!

I am firm believer in that the only stupid question is the one that is not asked! If someone is talking way over your head, stop the conversation and everyone of us will back up and change our approach to make it understandable. I don't think we have had a person in our group that wouldn't mind doing that.

Sounds like you are making your rounds....you definately need to come see me so we can talk! I will send you my phone number.

Fred

edicehouse

It was really cool meeting ya Fred. I am looking to see what is going on this weekend, I will give you a call after work tomorrow.

PTownSubbie

Mike/Ed,

You're always welcome! Just give me a heads up to get some stuff ready for whatever it is you want to talk about.....

edicehouse

I've gone to Fred's and Jim's a couple times, but other than that none to my knowledge! I am going camping this weekend!

JAZNCARR

im in!

If you guys wana meet at my house I live right down the street from Fred. My roomate is moving out in 3 weeks and I ll. Have the house to myself again... I'm right off 164. Near the Monitor Merimac.... maybe I can get Jim out of his shop, when he smokes his pipe it reminds me of my grandad...

navycop

If you guys wana meet at my house I live right down the street from Fred. My roomate is moving out in 3 weeks and I ll. Have the house to myself again... I'm right off 164. Near the Monitor Merimac.... maybe I can get Jim out of his shop, when he smokes his pipe it reminds me of my grandad...

So around September?

JAZNCARR

Yeah My roomate is never around or rarely is in the way to begin with but right now Portsmouth is infested with mosquitos and I wouldn't want to be responsible for anybody being taken away... When it cools off a tad maybe the Skeeters will go away...

JAZNCARR

no i wish

Apparently the spray they use for pest control doesn't travel when there's smoke in the air... atleast that's the excuse they gave channel 10 news a few days ago

Carrick

Well, I'm on duty at work tonight...and as much as I check in on IAP...for some odd reason I have yet to see any of these posts in the HR Chapter Thread(s)...Everyone doing all right? My apologies for not stopping through to talk earlier.

cwolfs69

hey, im looking forward to meeting some of these guys other than Fred. when can we get a meeting going so i can become kinda one of the group. retired so unless a show going on almost anytime is ok.

Top Bottom