Suggestion for meeting - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Hampton Roads Virginia
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hampton Roads Virginia Covering the cities of Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Newport News, Hampton, Portsmouth, and Suffolk

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Suggestion for meeting

I look at the work people do on here, and I am intimidated. I go see Jim (Corain King) and I am impressed with what he does. I am sure there are others from around here that are new and not to the skill level of you all, and many may feel under skilled or embarassed to show up (fortunatly I have no shame). Maybe demo's of more basic stuff would be a way to draw more. Maybe demo's of polishing a completed blank, or reverse painting. There may be a slim chance that someone finishes something one way that looks just as good as yours, with half the work (doubt it, but possible).

I am waiting for the project manager to get some information for me, so I am rambling.
edicehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I can tell you that Ptown's finish is top notch beautiful. I can also tell you i have figured out how to reverse painting lucite to get a beautiful pen, with a lot of help from this site of coarse. I can also say that no one needs to feel intimidated because they may or may not be as skilled as some of the more experienced turners like Corian King, and yes, he is very skilled. The next time we put together a meeting I would encourage anyone to come along and if you want to see the basics then I'm sure all you would have to do is ask.
Aerotech is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Hello Ed and Dale I just wanted to say thanks for the kind words about me.
But I am just a little fish in the sea.There is no need to be worried that your skills may not be up to others but everyone has to start somewhere.Just like me.even as long as I have been doing it I still ask questions from other turners.I don't mind helping anyone and my shop door is always open if need be.I had a nice vist from Ed today and we just sat around and talked shop.it was very nice.
Happy turning!!
corian king is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

I say we just meet up with Jim, bring Dr. Pepper and MT. Dew. I hear he has real good taco's. Just kidding!

I don't think my work is as horrible as I say, but it is a learning process.

When I was in High School I did house building. The owner of the company is now one of my best friends and he told me a story when I was 13. For years they did roof rafters the same way, and that was just how they were done. Some college kids were doing charity work, and they could barely swing a hammer. They came up with a much easier way to do rafters, that was the standard for many years (this was before the pre fabbed stuff). So you never know who you will learn stuff from.

I really don't know how this relates to anything in the post, but I just feel like talking to myself....
Old 07-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 74

Ed,

I am like Jim and don't think anyone needs to be embarassed or worried at all about your skill level. Just ask Jim the next time you see him where I started 2 years ago.....He will just laugh as I did the last time we met. I didn't know $hit! Not that I know a lot more now, I am just more confident!! LOL!

I am firm believer in that the only stupid question is the one that is not asked! If someone is talking way over your head, stop the conversation and everyone of us will back up and change our approach to make it understandable. I don't think we have had a person in our group that wouldn't mind doing that.

Sounds like you are making your rounds....you definately need to come see me so we can talk! I will send you my phone number.

Fred

Currently running Silicone Mold advertisement
Full line of Silicone Casting Molds (Horizontal Blank, Vertical Blank, Block, "Tube-In" casting molds for skins and labels, Bottle Stoppers)
"Tube-In" molds include Slim/8mm/Designer/Sierra/Sierra Click/Cigar/Jr Series/Gent Series/Clicker/Patriot/Zen.
PTownSubbie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

It was really cool meeting ya Fred. I am looking to see what is going on this weekend, I will give you a call after work tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edicehouse View Post
It was really cool meeting ya Fred. I am looking to see what is going on this weekend, I will give you a call after work tomorrow.
Meeting at Fred's house. I'm in..
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." Douglas MacArthur
navycop is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 74

Mike/Ed,

You're always welcome! Just give me a heads up to get some stuff ready for whatever it is you want to talk about.....

Currently running Silicone Mold advertisement
Full line of Silicone Casting Molds (Horizontal Blank, Vertical Blank, Block, "Tube-In" casting molds for skins and labels, Bottle Stoppers)
"Tube-In" molds include Slim/8mm/Designer/Sierra/Sierra Click/Cigar/Jr Series/Gent Series/Clicker/Patriot/Zen.
PTownSubbie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'll bring some wings!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just checking in. There wasn't a meeting somewhere that I missed?
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." Douglas MacArthur
navycop is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads