Zombie cigar pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Heres one for Halloween. A spalted sweetgum blank I was cutting out had really good colors and figure but was really punky in the center. In fact it fell apart when I picked it up from the saw table. I gently carried it over to my lathe where I got out the thin CA, put the two ends back together and started dribbling it onto the blank. White smoke poured out like fog in a graveyard and hissed like a snake in the weeds. After several applications of thin and medium CA to various holes the blank was intact again. IT"S ALIVE! Oh, thats another movie, sorry.
A bit of careful drilling and turning and the sweetgum walks again, raised from the dead and decaying branches from the back yard.

Attachments

• zombie-pen.jpg
    zombie-pen.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 338
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

There you go...! how many would throw that piece of wood as rubbish...???:redface:

There aren't many other things that I'm aware off, that can be made out of "rotten" wood, in fact, when it gets to the "grab it wrong and it snaps...!:eek:" stage, it's pretty bad however, doesn't mean that is totally dead yet, thanks goodness for those who invented CA (super glue), particularly the thin stuff, what would we be without it...???:confused::rolleyes::biggrin:

I have the same problem, trying to "revive" condemned pieces of wood, is hard to let go particularly when, colours, texture and other works of nature, produce such an unique look...!

I'm working on one of "those" right now, its just some rotten wood that I got from a humongous Curly Gum tree a few months back, the very last 6' of the tree trunk (butt) grown parallel to the ground and 75% buried...!:eek: but when you see it, and some of the different areas of the decomposition spots and stages, one would wonder, where on earth can anyone ever get stuff like this, without being from these natural nature "doings" and surprises...???

You wait and see, is going to give some wow's also, you pen and your work was certainly worth while, in my books...!:wink::)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom