Ziricote

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenPal

PenPal

I place this timber alongside Ebony,Pink Ivory Wood in fact it must have relatives in Silicon
Valley, caused a few sharpening exercises. Harder than. Result was worth the effort with that reflective sheen like shot silk that comes from our Blackwood and also many other timbers. Native to Southern Mexico, west into Belize and Guetamala. The heartwood has various shades of black, irregular wavy black streaks,lines and variegations on a tan background all of these characteristics in this one blank. There are very few trees that show such attractive and distinct markings. Be sure to get out your super chisels.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0028.jpg
    DSCF0028.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCF0021.jpg
    DSCF0021.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF0035.jpg
    DSCF0035.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Beautiful, Peter!!!

First, you will find ziricote is much more stable than the other woods you mention, makes it one of my favorites, cause it is not likely to crack.

But, it is usually darker than that. And, did you cut cross grain?? The grain pattern is unique on those.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very nice Peter, I also like that you give us some info on the wood you use. Is the black normal grain or is it spalting?

PenPal

Ed, ML, and Skippy

I have had this stick for years and uncut it was quite brown in appearance however it follows the learned description to the letter, I was also fortunate to catch the fiery flash in the Tan areas. I had been given this piece by a very reputable mate in the States who like me is ever so carefull in nominating timber names. I have nothing to compare it with having been blessed to find this stick in most ways. The message for me is never start a grumpy day with one of these, put it on a metal lathe to break from the round and use super tools. It remains the only timber I have worked that removes abrasives from sandpaper just takes the cutting part off. It is furry, cranky, but like I said worthwhile from my point of view.
The timber is long grain cut and not spalted proving you can never really know until you get to finish size just how it will go with regards to colour, texture, grain, finish.

I have fortunately so many pieces of genuine spalted timbers but this old cut stick is au naturale.

Thankyou fore your interesting remarks it will make me aware of various characteristics in all things.

Regards Peter.

Top Bottom