zirconium puzzle pen with black and color

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from btboone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

JohnT,

I think I must have missed seeing the pen that Skip showed. . Could you please post the link, John.

Thanks

Things that should be shared every now and again

I posted the link to that project when Skip showed his pen because it made me think of it for sure. Talent that is truely amazing.

It is the one where Skip is playing with fire. He is changing colors on a Titanium pen. He is going at it in a little different manner but there are some similarities and Like I said Bruce's pen was the first one that came to my mind.

www.penturners.org/forum/f13/playing-fire-144884/

Last edited:

Skie_M

The color change on the zirconium is through an anodizing process ...

The color change on skip's titanium is due to the heat treatment process...

The heat treating doesn't change the properties of the titanium, just it's surface color. When you see the "art deco" style titanium knives out there, they just have a thin layer of titanium over the steel. The steel itself wasn't taken up to it's actual heat treating temperatures, and is generally a medium tempered 440 stainless or equivalent.

jttheclockman

The color change on the zirconium is through an anodizing process ...

The color change on skip's titanium is due to the heat treatment process...

The heat treating doesn't change the properties of the titanium, just it's surface color. When you see the "art deco" style titanium knives out there, they just have a thin layer of titanium over the steel. The steel itself wasn't taken up to it's actual heat treating temperatures, and is generally a medium tempered 440 stainless or equivalent.

I know that!!!!! I place Skip in Bruces wheelhouse when it comes to innovation. I mentioned it because of this not that they are the same pens Different materials all together. Not many other members here that play in their ballparks that is for sure.

I know all the stories behind the innovator of the puzzle pen too. Again not what I was suggesting.

Skie_M

Never said you didn't know ...

But a lot of new people certainly wouldn't know how either effect was achieved! :)

jttheclockman

Never said you didn't know ...

But a lot of new people certainly wouldn't know how either effect was achieved! :)

It is written right in the thread. Many people are not going to even know what you said. Not many members here are playing around with color change with metals to begin with. That is the similarity of the two people. You can add Brad the chemist in that catagory also if you would like and he achieves it in an entirely different way than these 2.

stuckinohio

John,

Thank you for linking to this pen the other day. Saw it and was blown away! I never saw it because it was in '09 and I wasn't around yet. Since the thread has been revived, I can make a comment now :)Simply amazing!

Skie_M

Very true, it's simply amazing ...

Wish all these guys were still here so we could pick their brains on how this or that worked. Skip's technical skills are also right out of this world! His screwnut is still boggling minds as we speak! :)

Top Bottom