Zertex Hex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gawdelpus

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Looking at one of these I thought it would look cool with a hex body ,no beal so came up with a fix on my metal lathe ,an air die grinder and router bit ,made a wood clamp to replace the normal tool post and this is how it turned out :)
the setup . One in forest oak and one in S.A. ebony ,hand sanded to 1500 w/dry and buffed on a polishing buff , cheers ~ John

setup.jpg

vertex2.jpg
ebony2.jpg

zertex2.jpg

ebony3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Looks awesome John. Is there a way to get rid of the round parts off the kit so that you blanks blend straight into the hex parts? That would make it look even better...it looks great, don't get me wrong, and I sure appreciate your hard work, but the round fittings throw the pen off.

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Jeff ! you could turn the round part off the nib end ,it screws on to a section that is pressed into the nib end of the barrel, but because it,s a click action any altering of lengths would affect how far the ink section protrudes :( But I agree would look better with a clean line at least on the nib end :)

seamus7227

Jeff ! you could turn the round part off the nib end ,it screws on to a section that is pressed into the nib end of the barrel, but because it,s a click action any altering of lengths would affect how far the ink section protrudes :( But I agree would look better with a clean line at least on the nib end :)

couldnt you make the tube longer to make up for the difference that would be taken off of the nib and click end?

Mark

Nicely Done John. Both pens look awesome.

I just got a lathe with indexing and that (believe it or not) was one of the first projects I had planned for it. I was going to leave extra material on each end of the body, to be milled out to cover the rings. That way I wasn't altering the fit. It may be easier to lengthen the body to accommodate the removal of the rings.

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Nicely Done John. Both pens look awesome.

I just got a lathe with indexing and that (believe it or not) was one of the first projects I had planned for it. I was going to leave extra material on each end of the body, to be milled out to cover the rings. That way I wasn't altering the fit. It may be easier to lengthen the body to accommodate the removal of the rings.

Mark I wish my old metal lathe had indexing hehe, my pen lathe does but no real way to utilise it for this sort of application :( . I have a close friend (who shall remain nameless) who has a beal in a box as yet virginal and almost out of warranty lol. You might eliminate some of the gap by a two pronged attack , shorten the actual nib to the hex ,and counter bore the blank to accept the screw fitting adapter ,or even take the small step off it and press it in flush ,would take some careful measuring to get it right ,and these are very thin in the finished wall thickness ,probably too much time and effort for a market pen ,but a nice mod for a special pen . If getting a longer tube with the right dimensions was no problem then the whole thing becomes very feasable indeed , Got a lot of good feedback today at my stall, but funnily enough the one I sold was a proof of concept one I did first which was some clear cast poly with an embedded chrome plastic braid ,then milled with the flats ,I thought it was a bit too flashy ,shows how much I know lol. Cheers ~ John

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very nicely done John!!!:wink:.
You found an inventive way to index, but perhaps you could also index from one of the gears? I did that for a while, but then drilled indents around my chuck faceplate.

I wonder if there would be any problems with the plating on the kit parts peeling from the edge if you trimmed the ring off?

PaulDoug

I like them. An alternative to removing the rounded part on the pen kit would be to round the blank at the ends to match the pen kit parts. Just a thought.

Top Bottom