Zen for my wife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TLTHW

TLTHW

Chrome Zen with striped blank. Turned on a taig micro lathe. Sand to 400 and MM to 12000.

Comments always welcome.

Dave

Attachments

• striped zen.jpg
    striped zen.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 302
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

Hi Dave, Greetings from Spokane, WA. I just purchased the identical blank to put on a Zen. I hope mine turns out as nice.

Does the Taig micro lathe work well in tasks such as this? I have never seen a Taig in operation.

TLTHW

Hi Dave, Greetings from Spokane, WA. I just purchased the identical blank to put on a Zen. I hope mine turns out as nice.

Does the Taig micro lathe work well in tasks such as this? I have never seen a Taig in operation.

The Taig works great for this. I rough in using the travelling carriage. I have a 4" tool rest that mounts on the carriage for final turning and shaping.

plantman

The Taig works great for this. I rough in using the travelling carriage. I have a 4" tool rest that mounts on the carriage for final turning and shaping.

:bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051: Dave; I bought my Taig Mini Micro Metal Lathe used 30 years ago and it's still the lathe I use 99% of the time. It's not that expensive and I can still buy parts today for it. The only thing I have ever replaced on it is the 1/8" drive belt. A use metal files to do any shaping on the blanks. Turn at high speed, hand sand without power, and finish with CA at low speed. The chucks are interchangeable with my larger lathe, and even my Shop Smith. I use # 1 Moris tapers and adapters and can move my chucked up blanks from one lathe to the other without disturbing the blanks. A metal lathe has the exactness no wood lathe can match, plus you can make all the custom tooling you need. No catches, and the only time I have blowouts is when my glueing to the tube is bad. Just finished my first Polymar Clay pen on it this mornning and will get photos on site today. Merry Christmas to all !!! Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom