Zen Cigar Romeo and Julietta

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jcm71

jcm71

First off, full acknowledgement to Bill Bettag (Wood Butcher). Without his two tutorials in the library I would not have been able to figure this out. With some minor deviations, I used the techniques Bill describes in his tutorials. One major deviation is that I used a Zen to make this instead of a Magnetic Vertex. The wood is Sapele, finished with Pens Plus. I am not 100% satisfied with how it came out. Will improve with practice. Comments and critiques welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0729.JPG
    IMG_0729.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 281
  • ZENCIGAR2.JPG
    ZENCIGAR2.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 259
  • ZENCIGAR3.JPG
    ZENCIGAR3.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 235
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Looks like you got this. A little less shine would make it more realistic but then the shine wouldn't be an issue to one wanting to purchase it.
Keep at it, and for heaven's sake yes, improve on what I or others have done. That is what makes this site really valuable to the IAP community.
WB

OZturner

Excellent Cigar Pen, John.
I agree with Wood Butcher, less Shine would be ideal. Perhaps, a light rub with 0000 steel wool, would knock off enough of the Sheen, that is provided that you have used your Finish, over the Label.
Love it,
Brian.

magpens

It looks perfect to me !!!!! . Very well done !!

How did you remove the clip from the magnetic cap ?

And then, did you just bore a hole in the wood and insert the remaining cap ?

jcm71

It looks perfect to me !!!!! . Very well done !!

How did you remove the clip from the magnetic cap ?

And then, did you just bore a hole in the wood and insert the remaining cap ?

Press the two couplers into the brass tube, and screw in the finial. Put the cap over the finial and stand it on end, cap down. Saw off the clip with a hacksaw. Do not worry about marring the cap. Now take the whole assembly to a disc sander and smooth out the cap. Don't worry about the plating. When satisfied, remove the cap and sand off the shoulder on the finial coupler until it is flush with the brass tube and the finial. DO NOT grind down the other coupler. The cap should now slide into a 9/16th hole, and the brass tube and finial into a 10.5mm hole as called for in Zen pen instructions. Follow Bill Bettag's tutorials in the library to complete the pen. I'm sure ther are other ways to do this, and probably better ways. This is what I figured out with the tools that I have. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom