Zebra-wood pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodChucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

I've only done one other pen in Zebra-wood and didn't really care for that one, but this one doesn't look to bad. Is it a hit and miss with this wood or is all sort of plain looking? The other one I did looked almost like pine.
SlimlineZebrawood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
In my (never humble) opinion, zebrawood looks it's best when bias-cut. That being said, you've done a beautiful job on this pen, R.T. Shape, fit and finish look absolutely gorgeous!

WoodChucker

Thanks Lou! I was just looking at your album and I see you've been very busy. All I can say is WOW, some beautiful work, nice job!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have stopped buying precut blanks because of that reason,
I have found that "boring" wood cut on the bias or cross cut is more interesting.
Wood that has an interesting grain like botoce, zebra cocobolo etc is even more breathtaking.
If you were going to build a large piece of furniture, would you let the lumber yard match your panels, or would you match your own panels?
I look at pen blanks the same way.
I may not get as many blanks as a supplier , but the woods I turn have "interesting properties"

jckossoy

I agree with cteaglesc. Although if you look around, you can find some really interesting woods that don't have to be xcut or bias cut. I have some persimmon, and rosewood that has a great grain and they were strait cuts.

Kol Tov,

Jeff (Yaakov)

WoodChucker

cteaglesc, good point! I have noticed I take more time picking out my wood for woodworking then I do for my pens. The wood I cut from my property I take the time and select the better stuff for my pens and woodworking, but I just don't have enough variety. I think I'll look into buying some of the exotics and cut my own, thanks for the advice, or at least waking me up to something I should have been doing all a long! [:)]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I also agree that Zebrano looks better in a bias cut, especially in a slimline.. but in a larger style pen like the cigars even a straight cut will show a lot more of the figure on this wood...
Slimlines are notorious for losing the grain on some nice woods because they are sooo thin..

WoodChucker

Thanks Tom! Yeah I think your right, the other pen I made from Zebrawood was a slimline also, so maybe I'm not really giving it chance to show off. [:)]

PenWorks

Nice pen RT. There is just enough pop in the wood grain to make it a nice looking pen. After all, it is a slim line, so you are not going to be putting your best blanks forward, just to turn off all the wood. What you made is a nice looking inexpensive pen that will sell. Cudos.

Anthony

WoodChucker

Thanks Gary! I agree, with just a little more wood it could have been a really pretty pen.

Thanks Anthony! Once again I have to agree with you, and I hate it when that happens.[:D] And if it don't sell I know you'll buy it, right? [:p]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
One other thing you might consider doing is losing the center band and either make a contrasting one or use the same wood cut differently for the center.
Once you free yourself of the center bushing, you can explore different sizes and shapes that will lend themselves to a "richer" loooking pen with the lowly slimline kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom