Zebra of a different stripe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ed McDonnell

Ed McDonnell

Niece saw zebra.
Niece loves zebra.
Ed loves niece.
Niece loves pens.

Does this look like a zebra? What say ye?

PR on an Atrax Chrome Rollerball.

Ed

Attachments

• Zebra_1573.jpg
    Zebra_1573.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 561
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Thanks for the comments / compliments.

When I designed the blank, I started to worry that maybe I tried to squeeze too many stripes on there and some of them were maybe too skinny.

I liked the pattern, but I wanted to make sure other people looking at it thought "zebra" and not just crazy stripes.

Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Remember, when a lion sees a herd of running zebra, he's SUPPOSED to think "Wow, a bunch of moving crazy stripes!!!"

Otherwise, lion food!!

Ed McDonnell

Thanks everyone.

Glad you looked at it the way I planned it. The one side was supposed to look like the zebra's back with the darker mane-like band. The other side was supposed to look whiter, more like the belly. I've never been underneath a zebra, but from pictures it looks like some have white bellys and some just have thinner stripes. I went with the thinner stripes for the belly.

This left me with the tough choice of where to put the clip. I had originally figured it would go in line with the "back". But I really like the look of that part of the blank and didn't want to cover it up. So the clip is riding side saddle. I wasn't sure anybody would notice. Can't fool you eagle-eyes though.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Ed

crabcreekind

This is the best zebra stripe pen i have ever seen. You should definetly look into selling zebra stripe blanks. You are very talented.

ironman123

Zebra of a different stripe

Cool looking blank Ed.
From the blanks I have seen at Classic Nibbs, looks like the DOL is going great.

Still get lots of compliments on my pen.

Keep up the great work.

Ray

Ed McDonnell

Everyone - Thanks for the comments.

Ray - Glad the pen is holding up. I had to rebuild the DOL, but it's now better than ever.

...How long did it take to make?

The "how long" question is always a tough one to answer. I have multiple projects going all the time and I don't keep track of how my day is allocated between each one. Each project involves a lot of time waiting for things to cure / dry. I don't think curing / drying time should be counted when answering the "how long" question. But it seems I should somehow allocate some of the months / years I spent learning and developing the skills / techniques that made creating the project possible. What about all the time I spent working to earn the money to buy the equipment that I'm using? It would seem fair to include some of that time, but how to do so? I have found that people who ask "how long" generally fall into one of two groups.

The first group are curious and looking for a way to gauge the artistic content of the object. More time to create equates to more value. My answer to this group would be "a couple of days".

The second group are trying to figure out how long it would take them to duplicate the project. My answer to this group is "it took me 20 years to create this project, but you should be able to do it a lot faster".

Ed

Top Bottom