Zebra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. It's a complimentary freebie yippee blank from Exotic Blanks. Actually it's called Zebra, I think. It's on a 22K/Rhodium Jr. Statesman Fountain Pen. I could not get the stripes to line up..but I tried:rolleyes:. It's a little hypnotizing if you look long enough. Comments welcome but most of all thanks for just looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Zebra Jr. Statesman_2.jpg
    Zebra Jr. Statesman_2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Zebra Jr. Statesman_1.jpg
    Zebra Jr. Statesman_1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Zebra Jr. Statesman.jpg
    Zebra Jr. Statesman.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 185
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

LOL. Looks great Doc. But man my eyes start bugging out when I enlarge the image. Amazing what effect some stripes can have. Nicely done all the same.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Maybe I can help here.

The center of the blank is not, necessarily, the center of the pattern in these blanks. I SUGGEST you "pre-turn" the blank by mounting it between centers on your lathe and use the center of the pattern as your "mounting center", turn it until it is round. Then, drill on the lathe--holding the round blank in your scroll chuck or collet chuck.

If you follow this procedure, the cap will, of course be larger than the pen and the pattern will look larger---but I believe they will line up.

In the spirit of 100% accuracy--- I have not made a two piece pen from this material yet, so this is a theory, not a "tried and true solution".

Hope it helps!!

Last edited:

firewhatfire

Good thing they are vertical to make it look skinny cause horizontal might make it look fat. I think I need to get an outfit like that and see if it helps me.

Looks good

maxman400

Doc the Pen Looks Great::
To add to Ed's tip, I also found that before cutting your blank for drilling pick one stripe and mark it like you would for gain orientation on a wood blank. After you cut it and square the end for drilling transfer that line on to the end of the blank. After drilling and inserting your tube transfer your line to the inside of your tube with a magic marker (far enough down the tube so that the bushings wont rub it off. Then you can re-square and turn your blank and when you assemble your pen use the marks in the tubes to line every thing up. I do the pen Body first making a mental note as to which line I am using, screw on the center band then line the opposing line on the cap blank. I start it by hand, un-screw it and then press the center band in to the blank and test fit. If you are happy complete the assembly, if not it's easier to take it apart now than with the final and clip already in place. DAMHIKT. :wink:

And again it is a great looking pen.

Top Bottom