Zebra!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from emackrell

Status
Not open for further replies.

emackrell

Tried turning one of Ed's "cat chow" blanks yesterday and it was great fun. I gave it a bright red centerband because... it seemed like it wanted one. Comments welcome.

(Sorry the photo is dark, I haven't figured out the lighting in my new photo-tent yet!)

200682221638_IMG_0575_2.jpg

cheers Eileen [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The pen is striking and I commend you for taking the plunge into modifying the"lowly slimline".
From the picture it looks like you have a good fit and finish.
The choice of the color for the center band is a personal one but I would have stayed with something along the Zebra theme as opposed to putting a red belt on the zebra.
Kit selection.
I put some of my most time consuming blaks in slimline because usually they are "experimental" and I want to see how they turn and look as a finished pen.In this case the colors of Ed's blank combined with your choice of center band suggests to me that this pen is destined to be a womans pen. I am not "color prejudiced" in regards to gender,but this particular design immediately suggested a womans pen.
That being said, though the picture does not present the clip I can see enough of it to know that it is a basic slim line clip with or without the tell tale black stripe.
You might look into ordering "custom clips" or the "fancy slimline" that have a sleeker look to it.
One of the benifits of that style of clip is it allows you to make a larger barrel or have a little more space under the clip to make it easier to put in a pocket or checkbook.(From what I have seen most women don't have need for a clip on their pens unless they are putting them in their check books).
Another thing you might consider is buying extra tubes, either in 10" lengths or tubes from another kit.
With this pen I may have considered not using such a large centerband (or none at all) and using a designer set of tubes make the lower section longer to show off more of the pattern. A simple sliver of black material at the center would give you enough of a "break" in the pattern to make up for the fact that the pattern is interrupted where the blank was cut.
Keep up the experimenting! I like seeing pens that are not B2B!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Eileen,

We all talk about "thinking outside the box". The addition of the red "saddle cinch" around the zebra's waist is unique. I, like Eagle, use a different slimline kit (the PSI Titanium kit) that gives a little more flexibility with the clip end of the pen.

In short, THANK-YOU for posting!!! Hope you realize these are SUGGESTIONS, not CRITICISMS. Penmaking evolves.

Just to needle Eagle I will end with that immortal quotation he loves so dearly, "Nice pen, good job!!"

Keep it up!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Eileen,

We all talk about "thinking outside the box". The addition of the red "saddle cinch" around the zebra's waist is unique. I, like Eagle, use a different slimline kit (the PSI Titanium kit) that gives a little more flexibility with the clip end of the pen.

In short, THANK-YOU for posting!!! Hope you realize these are SUGGESTIONS, not CRITICISMS. Penmaking evolves.

Just to needle Eagle I will end with that immortal quotation he loves so dearly, "Nice pen, good job!!"

Keep it up!

"Just to needle Eagle I will end with that immortal quotation he loves so dearly, "Nice pen, good job!!"
"

Oh, so now you're staring in too?[:(]
If you go back to my post I did not use the NPGB tag.[:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Eagle,
It's NPGJisn't it??[:D][:D][:D]
ANd since when have I ever posted anything wothout Tipo"s?

BTW Eileen
NPGJ[:D]
You know when it's a slow day on the forum if you wind up quoting yourself in consecutive posts[:eek:)]

emackrell

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice! To be honest, when I picked out the center band I was thinking in terms of color coordination not zoology. Eagle's right, one seldom sees wild zebras sporting red sashes... but I have often worn red accessories with black and white suits! Guess this reinforces the idea that this will become a woman's pen.[;)]

Cheers Eileen[8D]

jssmith3

Hey Eileen, I love it and leave the center band alone! I think you made a great choice and any women would be proud to own it ;) Guys would never relate to what looks good together like we would in combining colors and relating it to outfits I can assure you. They can make some darn nice looking pens though [:0][:D][}:)]
Janet :)

blodal

Originally posted by emackrell

(Sorry the photo is dark, I haven't figured out the lighting in my new photo-tent yet!)

200682221638_IMG_0575_2.jpg
<br />

cheers Eileen [8D]

Good looking pen!

I had some pictures turn out like this. I didn't set my white balance correctly. When corrected pictures were much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom