Ze two tones african blackwood cigar!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey there,

So I had another order, african blackwood, after reading on the forum, some people suggested acetone before finishing, I have learned something new and I plan on using it on other oily woods, it's the way to go to prep for finishing!

So here is a few pictures of ze thing. ;)

This is all sanded down with acetone applied, note the dryness of the wood.

And finished on the lathe!

Sapwood side!

Darkwood side, oh so shiny!

Thanks for looking and comments welcomed!

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CharlesH

Here is a few pointers of what works for me.

-Sanding to 400 then with old MM pads I have laying around, usually 1500 up to 4000 or so, depends of my mood and the wood.

-When wet sanding the secret is in using new and non contaminated MM sand paper, never cheap out on sand paper!

-You have to make a good and even coat of CA with accelerator in between coats, you can sand after a few coats.

-Sanding just enough with the right grit and pressure, sometime the edge of the blank sand off, just apply a few coats then sand and even the finish.

-Recently learned, acetone is your friend with oily wood.

-If things don't work and your getting pissed off, go do something else, things will go bad. (I need to work on that one, often I keep going when I shouldn't, it's better to take a break than going crazy. :p)

In other words, it's all about adjusting to the situation.

Charles

Looks great, how are you doing the finish?

Rfturner

it reminds me of two face from batman. It would be neat to make a box that mimics the pen . Great execution and craftsmanship

Top Bottom