Zap Cap with plain wood and pens plus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

Had a chrome zap cap kit from exotic blanks that I thought I'd give a try. Used a blank I've had for awhile. What's the wood?

This was the second pen that I've tried pens plus finish on. I wet sanded with walnut oil and then 5 coats of pens plus finish.

Attachments

• image-1622299431.jpg
    image-1622299431.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 225
  • image-392592886.jpg
    image-392592886.jpg
    742.2 KB · Views: 264
  • image-2064082788.jpg
    image-2064082788.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 197
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

Dan, the pen looks really great! The finish is just soft enough to make the wood feel comfortable with the metal.
Other than the clip, it also looks a lot like the Electra.
Have no idea what the wood is.
gordon

Dan Masshardt

Looks good, Dan. How do the Zap Caps compare to the Zens?
Good question.

The tube size and bushing size are the same. No problems there.

Of course the clip is different.

The finial cap seems to be one solid piece, if this is the case, you lose the ability to flip the orientation of the pen which may or may not bother anybody. Oddly, it has internal threads. Not sure why.

The refill is unmarked.

One thing that I noticed is that the magnet is substantially weaker than on the zen. I wouldn't say that it's too weak necessarily, but it's noticeable certainly. The zen magnet may be too strong for some peoples taste. I don't think the cap will come of easily accidentally, but if I try to forcefully, I can fling it off.

Overall the kit seems decent. My subjective thought is that it feels like an 'apprentice' kit from csusa. Kind of like the difference between a Jr. Gent 1 and a Baron.

Last edited:

mmyshrall

Had a chrome zap cap kit from exotic blanks that I thought I'd give a try. Used a blank I've had for awhile. What's the wood?

This was the second pen that I've tried pens plus finish on. I wet sanded with walnut oil and then 5 coats of pens plus finish.

Hi Dan,

Nice job. Is the wood bubinga? Admittedly, I easily get in over my head when doing wood ID :confused:

Mike from Doctors was at our local Woodcraft a few months ago; I liked his demo enough to shell out for Pens Plus. I did some pens using his walnut oil sanding method and Pens Plus; they turned out great.

Then I started buffing pens.

So, for this years Christmas gifts, I did a mix and match to see which option looked better in six months time. I will let folks know what the results are later this year.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
At present, the Zap Cap is a disappointment!! Dan describes it kindly---the cap magnet is not consistent with the samples I was sent. We are expecting another shipment that should arrive tomorrow---the manufacturer tells me not to worry, these will be better.

IF they are, we will replace the ones that have been purchased. (The cap is the only problem, so you won't have to destroy any pens.)

Keep thinking positive----

I like the design and will continue to pursue making one that lives up to the initial group we received. This version definitely does NOT!! We shall see if they rise to the occasion on the next batch.

Thank you Dan, for your accurate, but kind analysis!!!

The Penguin

Good question.

The finial cap seems to be one solid piece, if this is the case, you lose the ability to flip the orientation of the pen which may or may not bother anybody. Oddly, it has internal threads. Not sure why.

The refill is unmarked.

One thing that I noticed is that the magnet is substantially weaker than on the zen. I wouldn't say that it's too weak necessarily, but it's noticeable certainly. The zen magnet may be too strong for some peoples taste. I don't think the cap will come of easily accidentally, but if I try to forcefully, I can fling it off.

Overall the kit seems decent. My subjective thought is that it feels like an 'apprentice' kit from csusa. Kind of like the difference between a Jr. Gent 1 and a Baron.

one thing that my last large order liked was that a Zen can easily be switched nib end for finial end. That way they can swap ends on an engraved pen and it goes from a "right hand" pen to a "left hand" pen in just a few seconds.

Jim15

Glad you posted this. I've done a couple Zap's and thought the cap came off to easy but I had never done a Zen so I didn't know for sure. I like the pens though. I think the wood is Cocobolo, but i'm pretty bad at identifying wood.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Good question.

The refill is unmarked.

one thing that my last large order liked was that a Zen can easily be switched nib end for finial end. That way they can swap ends on an engraved pen and it goes from a "right hand" pen to a "left hand" pen in just a few seconds.

In the "dumb luck" department: The zapcap does have threads that match on both ends. So, you can switch the nib to either end---absolute accident, but it happened.

OZturner

Great Job on The Zap Cap, Dan.
Leaving aside the possible short comings of the Pen,
I like the style it enhances, and allows the Blank to show in all it's Glory.
Love the Fit and Finish,
Well done,
Brian.

Top Bottom