Your Vote Counts!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plano_harry

Personal opinion

• I like stripes - casein or alt casein looks best to me

Votes: 98 76.6%
  • Alt ivory is better - stripes don't work

Votes: 23 18.0%
  • What were you thinking? This doesn't work at all!

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters

plano_harry

I would like your opinion on these two pens. A customer wanted a pen with lots of bling for his wife and couldn't afford my full abalone price so I suggested a half abalone deal which he liked. Obviously which one I ship is his decision, but I would like input on this combo going forward for my portfolio.

I originally wanted to do real casein, thinking the subtle stripes would complement the strips of abalone, but had a problem with some small pinholes as I got down to my finish diameter, so I ordered alt casein, which looks great but has more pronounced striping than the real stuff, so I turned an alt ivory as an option.

Please cast your vote for which looks better to you - considering it is intended for a female -- casein/alt casein; alt ivory; or not a good combo.

Any reply suggestions are welcome also.

Thanks,
Harry

Attachments

• Abalone Alt Casein Closed 68.jpg
    Abalone Alt Casein Closed 68.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 414
  • Abalone Alt Ivory Closed 68.jpg
    Abalone Alt Ivory Closed 68.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 409
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

To my eye, it needs something to tie the cap and body together. Here's a quick Photoshop:

IvoryBands.jpg CasBands.jpg

I like the ivory bands better.

Last edited:

plano_harry

Interesting. Thanks for going the extra mile Stephen. My son agrees. When I start segmenting, the price goes up. Plus, I don't have the nerve to try and cut the abalone down to the tube to add the segment.:eek:

To my eye, it needs something to tie the cap and body together. Here's a quick Photoshop:

View attachment 84204 View attachment 84205

I like the ivory bands better.

76winger

Before I opened the pics I had it in my head that the stripes wouldn't match the abalone. I changed it when I saw both. I love the alt casine combo with the shell.

My thoughts exactly, I thought the abalone would stand out more with the plain body to contrast, but it is actually overpowering in that configuration. So I favor the Alt. Casein / Abalone combo as well.

ttm7

this one is classy the other looks like any other pen too many lines Abalone Alt Ivory Closed 68.jpg
too many lines slights the mother of pearl look.

Last edited:

MartinPens

Initially I had my doubts of it working, but when i opened the first photo with the stripes I verbally said "wow!". It surprised me, but that is really rich! The lines ARE actually continued through the body and cap because the abalone is laid down in strips. Lose the lines in the body and you lose the continuity between the body and cap. Fabulous piece in my opinion!

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think you should send both pics to your customer and ask her.:wink::biggrin:
I prefer the plainer look. I agree with Glen too, the alt ivory always looks grubby to me.

Last edited:

plano_harry

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I value your input since pretty much everything I know about pen turning came off this site. I am looking at pens daily the likes of which I have never seen. Some I can't even figure out how they were made! Having such a rich resource to draw on for free is hard to imagine.

I guess the polls are closed. The customer chose the alt ivory. The subtle grain did look good in person, but the pictures couldn't capture it. Which leaves the 4x favorite alt casein for me to sell - I think I am going to raise the price.:)

Special thanks to Roger for humoring me with a couple of half sets of abalone!

jttheclockman

As mentioned it really doesn't matter what we think because the customer is always right. Ask her which she prefers.

That being said I do not like the lines competing like that. with the casin. Not sure of the ivory though either. If I would have used the ivory I would have taken it one step further than the person with the photoshop picture. I would have put abalone rings in the ends of the ivory blank. Would have went ivory, abalone, long ivory, abalone and finally ivory on the lower barrel and reversed on the top. This way it marries the both halves even though you used 2 different materials. If not abalone then some sort of green accent rings.

Kenny Durrant

I like the plain bottom just a little better. They are both very nice pens and I think the lines on the bottom of the one are super. I guess my wife telling me my pens "look busy" toned my opinion down just a little. That's my nitpicking opinion but I'd be happy with eather one. Great job.

BSea

I think we can call this one. The lines have it. Sorry still have election night flashbacks.:rolleyes:

I voted for the lines. And like others, I was surprised. I thought I'd like the other one better.

Top Bottom