Your Critique solicited

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tetrault

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetrault

Here is an Amboyna Burl from BB in a cigar kit. Hut Crystal Friction finish was used. Comments?

Mark
tn_amboyna%20burl%202.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Looks very nice. You may want to try other (more durable) finishes. I, too, started with crystal coat, but didn't take me long to realize that it doesn't hold up very well.

chigdon

I think it looks good too but would also beware of the finish. I will use a friction polish to add more depth to my CA finishes. You could use it over a stabilized wood polished very smooth and then friction over that. As for the pen it looks great. That is one of my favorite woods and the fit and finish is right on.

JimGo

Can you tell us more about your finishing technique? There are some things I see, but before I make any suggestions, I want to be sure what I'm seeing isn't just a trick of the light.

tetrault

My finish is as follows:
Sand from 150 to 400 grit. Coat with thin CA and sand with 400 grit ti fill in. MM from 2400 to 12000 and finish up with 2 coats of crystal finish.

Mark

JimGo

Mark,
Do you stop the lathe at all during the sanding process? It looks to me like there are some sanding rings in the finish. If you stop the lathe and sand along the blank (rather than around it), that will knock down those rings and give you an even smoother finish. To see what I'm referring to, look at your picture, then look at Fangar's Amboyna Burl pen and you'll see the faint lines in your finish. I happen to live close to several members, and that was one of the first things they helped teach me when I started, so it's something I'm particularly sensitive to!

Otherwise, it's a great looking pen!

pen-turners

Mark,
What do you use to put on the friction polish??? I see some rings in your finish that might be caused by your application. I used to have this problem also when I was using rags to do friction polish. The rings went away when I switched to bounty paper towels. Just a suggestion. Now I use strictly CA finish with TSW over the top.

tetrault

Thanks for all the comments. As I recently bought BBs video, I now stop the lathe and sand lengthwise between grits. THat's what caused the sanding rings on the sample shown. Tnx BB. I used a cotton rag as a polisher.

Mark

tetrault

Thanks for all the comments. As I recently bought BBs video, I now stop the lathe and sand lengthwise between grits. THat's what caused the sanding rings on the sample shown. Tnx BB. I used a cotton rag as a polisher.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom