This is for you Jeff (workinforwood)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pssherman

pssherman

I finally got it done. Part of the delay was due to a herniated disk in the lower neck which kept me out of the shop for 6 weeks. Jeff said in another thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a beautiful pen. I'll never be truly impressed until I see a 20mm round.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turns out that I didn't have a 20mm casing, so I used a 25mm casing instead. Also, since someone is bound to say 'can you make a bigger one?', I went ahead and made one from a 30mm casing.
The two pens on the left use the parker refill and the two pens on the right use the cross refill. In order to get a perspective on the size, the center pen is a 50 BMG pen with a cross refill and the pen out front is a military version of the 308.

2008220205141_pic2.jpg

The woods are, from left to right, pau ferro, tulipwood, lacewood, and black palm.

Here is a closeup of the markings on the casings.

2008220205224_pic3.jpg

These pens are not as heavy as you might imagine. The 25mm pens weigh 9.27 (cross) and 9.82 (parker) ounces. The 30mm pens weigh 7.37 (cross) and 7.54 (parker) ounces. Yes, the 30mm are lighter than the 25mm. The 50 BMG weighs 3.23 oounces.

All comments welcome.

EDIT: All of the pens are FULLY retractable and refillable.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tanner

Holy cow! Those are not pens, they're weapons! You know what would be cool, add a secret compartment in the casing. That 50 BMG is a beauty!! Very nice craftsmanship!

M

Mudder

Originally posted by pssherman

Yea but can you write with em?

Those are something else. Appears that the only thing missing is a 105..... I'll be satisfied when you show me that! ;)

pssherman

Originally posted by Mudder

Originally posted by pssherman

Yea but can you write with em?

Those are something else. Appears that the only thing missing is a 105..... I'll be satisfied when you show me that! ;)
Scott,
Yes you can write with them, just not as fast as with the smaller pens.

As for the 105, weeeeeeell I do happen to have one and its on the drawing board. I am going to have to laminate some boards to get a blank big enough. I have a plank of padauk that I think will provide enough material to make the blank. Not sure if I should make the 'projectile' portion one piece or two pieces. Mounting it on the lathe is also going to be a challenge. Haven't got that worked out yet, but I do have a few ideas to try.

My intention is to use it as a display item to generate curiosity and to draw attention to my military themed pens. The one 3-day arts & crafts show that I have done the past 2 years has had other penturners there. I want something to attract the customers to my booth. I think this will be sufficiently unique to do that.

I plan on attending the 2008 MPG in Champagne IL on March 29 (my birthday, BTW) and will bring all of the pens having a military heritage. That will include the 105 if I can get it done in time. Maybe we can get Terrence to make a video showing each one of them in use.

BTW: It WILL be fully functional, retractable and refillable.

airrat

Those are great looking, nice job.

Kirk, I carry at least 2 to 3 bullet pens with me to work everyday. They are a mix of 308 and 30-06. TSA only looks at them a 2nd time for curiosity, not security. If they do not have any gun powder or an unfired primer in it they are ok with allowing them through.

People come through with the bullet key chains all the time.

Now a 105mm might raise some eyebrows LOL.

Firefyter-emt

If it is a display, you should go all out on one of the 30mm shells. Someone posted a cap design where they used the primer ends for the centerband and the final end. If you did that, and worked some wood into the middle of the cap, it would look more like a normal pen and twice the eye catching power. You do not really need the pen to twist and retract the pen, but size wise, it would be cool!

I also like the idea of using one as a display rack somehow though.

donald19

Be sure to post a picture of the 105MM when you get it done and at the show. This would be a site to see for this old gunner. HE Fuse Quick Charge7 Fire at Will. Sure loved pulling that lanyard.

Can ya make into a click pen:D:D

3rd Regiment Royal Canadian Horse Artillery.

cutterwoodjoe

" Someone posted a cap design where they used the primer ends for the centerband and the final end. If you did that, and worked some wood into the middle of the cap, it would look more like a normal pen and twice the eye catching power."

I made these, I didn't post them, but I think this is what Mike means I like to make this style, the end casings are 44mags

200822224518_3cartridge.jpg

pssherman

Originally posted by Jarheaded

I love it!!! I can't wait for the Patriot missile pen.:)
Hold on there Johnnie, who said anything about missiles?[:0] I said that I have one 105mm shell (I think this is for a Howitzer) that is in the works for a pen. With all the suggestions, and a few of my own, my brain may explode due to overuse. If you hear a large boom coming from NE Arkansas, it would be my head exploding.;) I have located a source and have begun negotiations to acquire 5 more of the 105mm shells. That should be enough for most, or least some, of the ideas.

Johnnie, if you could get me an empty shell for a Patriot missile, I'll make it into a pen.[:eek:)]

Top Bottom