Yin and Yang

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pipecrafter

pipecrafter

A friend of mine posed this idea to me a while back, and I only just had a chance to make them:

(click for bigger)

Yin is made of ebonite, and Yang is alternative ivory. The front section is a unmodified El Grande on Yang, while Yin has an El Grande section that's been heavily modified and the outer material is alternative ivory. They are identical in size and shape.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

akbar24601

I think that that is a valid wondering by Keith. At that stage I think they would look better the same color all the way through.

talbot

Lovely pens Kurt and they look good either way.
I guess you turn a lot of ebonite for your pipe stems so how about something in red and black next time.
regards, Bill

VisExp

Kurt, thank you for taking the time to post pictures of the pens with the nib holders switched. Gotta love that interchangeability :wink:

I think the pair look awesome with the nib holders switched :)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Kurt, I have to say, I like them better with the matching nibs, Not that they don't look good either way, they are a sweet pair of pens.

Me too, and agree with either way also. Before I saw the matching, I loved the looks, just that I liked it better in the second pict. Either way, they have class!

pipecrafter

Thanks guys! These pens will probably eventually find their way onto my site for sale. Now that I've hit upon a good formula for size and construction, I can pretty much make these out of anything. I'm really happy you guys like them - it makes all my experimentation worth it!

Lovely pens Kurt and they look good either way.
I guess you turn a lot of ebonite for your pipe stems so how about something in red and black next time.
regards, Bill

I do have some of the One True Cumberland, but since it's very expensive, I tend to reserve it for special projects - like the pen I made my brother-in-law for Christmas (Jr Gent RB w/ gold). It's also only 16mm, so it's not quite large enough for capped pens outside of Jr Gent sized stuff. I had thought about getting some of the swirled rods from SEM, but they're very expensive, and for the price of one rod of swirls that I would only use on pens, I can get two rods of plain black that I can use on pens *and* pipes.

That said, there's tons of materials out there. In fact, I've been drooling over some of the stuff at Exotic Blanks. Some of that is just phenomenal looking - for both pens and pipes. I've been using the same stuff as in their alternatives series, but from a different supplier. Unfortunately, that supplier only has them in 1" or 1.5", and I end up wasting a ton of material as lathe swarf. Some of those I would order entire rods of, just to be sure I could cut it to exactly the size I need with minimal waste.

Top Bottom