Yew SL pen and pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jtate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

A few weeks back I asked for guidance on using a thoroughly dry piece of yew that a friend saved when a yew tree was removed from his yard. It was about 2 inches in diameter in its widest are and about 18 inches long. Instead of being a nice round stick, it was kind of oval and slightly bent. It grew that way. Kind of flattened and curved.

Anyway - recommendations were for cutting on the diagonal and showing off the grain.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=2370&cid=2579#

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GBusardo

Wow!!! Looks great! I had a piece of yew that did not look like that at all. I wish I had taken a picture of it to show. It looked more like pine. I wonder if its the same wood as I had. Is it as red as it appears in the picture? By the way, great job [:)]
Gary

jtate

Acutally maybe redder than it looks in the picture. The streaks of blond really set off the red. I think some of it even looks kind of purpley.

All I can take credit for in this is the diagonal cutting and, heck, you guys told me to do that!

I'm hoping it's a sunny day today so I can look at them more closely in the sunlight. I think tere's some chatoyance to the grain but my middle-aged eyes can't see it in the flourecent office light.

Julia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom