And yet another Kitless Click Pen - My 1st though

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BSea

BSea

After seeing Jonathon's kitless click, and knowing how much I liked click pens. I knew this would be something I'd enjoy making. And thanks to Hans (hewunch) for his tutorial.

I made a few modifications, like using a cigar nib and nib connector. This saved me from doing male threads on PR. Male threads always seem to give me more trouble than female threads in pr. I used a 23/64th bit which made a tight fit for the nib connector. And the best thing was that my cigar nib bushing worked perfectly.

Because of the clip I used, I needed a tenon for it so sit properly & not move around. I cut this before polishing, but it really should be the last thing because of how thin it was. If you do it like I did, then the 60 degree center puts too much pressure on the thin tenon, and deforms it It was a real pain to get the clip on after polishing. In the future, I'll do another piece to separate the click mechanism from the clip. All in all, a really simple kitless. Especially when using the cigar nib. One drawback to using the cigar nib with the clip I used was that the barrel is slightly wider at the nib than the clip end. And I think with some other clips and using a piece between the click mechanism and the clip, this can be avoided.

One thing about this style is that it's a shorter pen. Probably close to the size of the aero. So for those who do their own casting, it's great for those 3/4 length blanks. Seems like I always have some of those. The blank above is one of my pours where I ran out of white, but had too much brown. I still like it because it has enough blue.

KitlessClick1A.jpg

KitlessClick1B.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Looks great Bob! How do you like using it? I've got 1 or 2 with me everywhere I go. I like the cigar nib, but like mentioned, the larger nib area kinda throws me. One thing you could try is to remove the black band and trim ring and only use the nib itself. That way you can actually turn down the material a bit more bc of the taper on the backside of the nib. You'd end up with a diameter close to a finished long click. OR you can make a solid bodied one so you don't have to worry about the threading. Really like your choice in clip too. I end up with ALOT of those 3/4 size blanks and they are perfect for these.

SDB777

Very cool! I can't see any taper, but I wouldn't imagine that it would be a huge issue anyway. And the coloring in the blank you poured - WOW!!!

Scott

BSea

Thanks for all the compliments guys. It really was easy & fun to make. other than spending a little more time turning it down just to make it as straight as possible, it didn't take much more time than doing a kit pen. Part of that was because of using the cigar nib. That made it really easy on the nib end.

Looks great Bob! How do you like using it? I've got 1 or 2 with me everywhere I go. I like the cigar nib, but like mentioned, the larger nib area kinda throws me. One thing you could try is to remove the black band and trim ring and only use the nib itself. That way you can actually turn down the material a bit more bc of the taper on the backside of the nib. You'd end up with a diameter close to a finished long click. OR you can make a solid bodied one so you don't have to worry about the threading. Really like your choice in clip too. I end up with ALOT of those 3/4 size blanks and they are perfect for these.
I do like using it, but I still like the long click a bit more. Maybe it's the size, and I just used to the long click. The mechanism is definitely smoother than the long click. I've already started planning my next one. I plan to make an exstention to increase the length. I'll probably stick with the cigar nib most of the time, but I'll think about doing my own. Maybe I'll use some alumilite to make the threading easier. Have to start pouring some 1st though.

Very good i really like the blank you used, maybe the cigar clip would of worked with the cigar nib for your sizing .
The issue with this pen was the size of the inner diameter of the clip. It had to be small enough to be secured with the click mechanism. The clip I used was the only one small enough without taking one from a kit. I bought the cigar nibs as separate items, so that way I don't have to rob any parts from a kit.

Very cool! I can't see any taper, but I wouldn't imagine that it would be a huge issue anyway. And the coloring in the blank you poured - WOW!!!
Scott
The taper is probably more noticeable to me just because I know it's there. I doubt anyone would notice unless they really knew what to look for.

Top Bottom