Yet another attempt by the Swede !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Umeubbe

Umeubbe

Hello, again, all pen turners.

Now I have tested the CA glue. It is not so easy to get a glossy finish but it will certainly be easier and better with more practice, I hope.
What I am a bit concerned about is fumes from the glue. It's probably not so good for the health.
Well, this is how the last two pens with CA glue came to be. Better but not good so I'll try again.
The first is made of Wild Olive and number two is Masur Birch.

Sincerely / Urban

CIMG2425.jpg

CIMG2431.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Beautiful pens, Urban. Very nice work! A shop vac hose placed right behind the lathe when finishing CA will help with the fumes. Keep you the good work!

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Urban those are a huge improvement over your last one. Those have an amazing finish on them. Great work.

Seer

Very nice I like the finish. When I am doing my finishes I have a fan that blows across the pen and the fumes are well blown away. I have no issues with CA since doing this good luck on your next ones but these look good now.
Jerry

ldb2000

That is a beautiful finish Urban , you did an excellent job on those . Use a small electric fan to blow the fumes away from you , keep it on low so it don't stir up any dust .

ToddMR

Man I really like the 2nd pen a lot! Very good job on those! I am making another attempt tonight on the CA finish. Wish me luck! From what I see it looks pretty darn good.

PaulDoug

Very nice pens. Good you must be proud of your progress. Those fumes are no worse than other things people snort up their noses. The smell doesn't bother me as much as the stinging of my eyes it causes.

Umeubbe

Thank you for your nice comments, it feels really good.

It is a pity that there are so few Swedes who engage in pen turning. It would have been nice to be able to discuss this hobby in my language. Now I sit and write with the help of Google translation and the English as I can, which can be really crazy sometimes, I guess.
But I'm probably better at English than you are at the Swedish and it is my consolation. :biggrin:
Anyway, "lazyguy" ask what I use for polishing technique, and my answer is that I've looked on youtube and have tried to do the same. :redface:

That's all for now. Take care.

Sincerely / Urban

Rfturner

great job your skills are improving, as far as the Ca fumes you may be using too much all at once if you are getting where you are smelling it but I agree a fan or vacume does help

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Looks good, much better than you are giving yourself credit for. More details to exactly how you are applying and polishing might help generate some helpfull hints.

Landon

Last edited:

Umeubbe

Thanks hunter-27.

You think I'll write more detail, which is not so easy. I've busy to make myself understood in this language. :biggrin:

1st When I peeled the actual shape then I start to grind. I will start with 240 grains and continues to 2000 grains. I also grind along the pen between each change of sandpaper.
Then I put on 3-4 coats of CA glue and sanding in the same way between each layer and grain size. Yes, that's all. Am I wrong or right? Grateful for tips.

Sincerely / Urban

ldb2000

It seems to be working for you Urban so I would not change it too much . After you put the first coat of CA on you don't have to go all the way back to the 240 grit , you can start at 400 or 600 grit depending on how smooth the CA is . There is no right or wrong way , just do what works best for you .

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Agree, it is working but going back to 240 each time is part of what is making it harder than needs to be. Other than that..............

Landon

Top Bottom