Yesterdays Fun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

Macawood Atlas/Carbrea copper, turned on a [8]Metal Lathe, 3 coats thin CA wet sanded to 600 3 coats Thick CA wet sanded to 1000 buffed, renwaxed
Maca-Carbrea1.jpg

Maca-Carbrea2.jpg

OK heres where it gets weird, (sorry Karl);) This was a perfectly good piece of Curly Maple, until I took an 1/8th end mill in a Foredom flexshaft, and proceeded to rout out holes and trails and several places on my fingers as well, then I placed it in a mold, mixed up some PR and vacuumed it for about 20 minutes, let it cure a couple of days and turned this Black Chrome Sierra, finished about the same as the above pen, in retrospect, I probably should have dyed the Maple but maybe on the next half.

Maple-rez-sierra2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by bitshird

...OK heres where it gets weird, (sorry Karl);) This was a perfectly good piece of Curly Maple, until I took an 1/8th end mill in a Foredom flexshaft, and proceeded to rout out holes and trails and several places on my fingers as well...

hehe...weird is my middle name!

That's great fun, isn't it? I have some odd looking scars on my fingers, and trying to explain to people where they come from is interesting. It's much easier to start with a crappy piece of wood than to 'crappify' one! You should hire some worms.

Great looking pens, I've never even heard of macawood! It's got a really nice tone to it. :)

bitshird

Karl, Macawood or Macacuba Wood is from the Amazon basin,it smells like cinnamon when you turn it or cut it and it is a hard wood!! it's harder than purple heart about like santos mahogany, not as hard as Ipe but it finishes soooo nice.[^][^]

bitshird

Heh Heh I'm going to do the next on on my CNC mill, IN A VICE. I chewed the crap out of two finger tips holding them by hand and doing it with a flex shaft, I wish I had a 4th axis, but that would make it too easy, I have some real funky Oak that I'm not sure will soak up enough resin, and even than not sure it will stay together. it looks more like a sponge thanks to carpenter ants.

Top Bottom