Yes, I still make pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

I still make them but just not often. My son called me about making a pen for his contractor who is a huge Ohio State fan and had helped get his remodel finished after the first contractor left him unfinished.
I called Seamus and he made me two Jr. size blanks with two different Ohio quarters.
I used the first one on a Tuscany1 solid sterling silver component set. It had to be a fountain pen as the shorter bottom barrel of the Jr blank used on the Tuscany is to short for a rollerball refill.
The second one is a Jr. Gent Rollerball

DSC_0005-001.JPG

DSC_0007-001.JPG

DSC_0008-001.JPG

DSC_0009-001.JPG

DSC_0010-001.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You haven't lost it Roy. Both are pretty damned cool and the box is very snazzy too!!
For me, I'd perhaps have chosen a Jr kit without the gold trim though. Maybe all chrome or even black ti. :wink: But hey...my opinion is only worth what you paid for it...:biggrin:

edstreet

Seamus does quality work, nice contract job. The only faults that I can see, with out leaving the topic of the two pen kits, is the ends are not square. On the 2nd (the gent clone) it appears the cap end of the blank is slightly over turned, however that could be misleading from the photo. Perhaps a better picture of that kit is in order?

I took the liberty, this time, to show what I am referring to, just to rule out physics and so forth ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0005-001.JPG
    DSC_0005-001.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 514

bruce119

OOhh Boy...maybe the final isn't pressed in all the way...

I like my clips lose also..:wink:

Great looking pens

Nice to you showing them off...:biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

Ed, once again your half right. These components are made as a slip fit not a press fit and the photos were taken of it before locktite was applied so the final was not set all the way in. Thanks for your critique.

edstreet

OOhh Boy...maybe the final isn't pressed in all the way...

I like my clips lose also..:wink:

Great looking pens

Nice to you showing them off...:biggrin:

attachment.php

As seen in the image about I am talking about the 'END CAP'. I said from the photo it APPEARS that the finial is over turned and smaller than the metal.

Ed, once again your half right. These components are made as a slip fit not a press fit and the photos were taken of it before locktite was applied so the final was not set all the way in. Thanks for your critique.

Perhaps you are indeed correct. For historical and educational value to those who have been in this industry for way less time than we have perhaps it would be wise to show another photo or two that was taken after, that way no one could look at this and say "Seamus does sloppy work, just look at that ugly gap there".

As for the 'slip fit' vs 'press fit' I will save that one for the bushings post. Also see first quote and image I linked, it's the 'end cap' not the finial.

Attachments

• 88K7680i01.jpg
    88K7680i01.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 358

OKLAHOMAN

Ed, wish I could post a photo when it was complete but the pen is on it's way to Texas. Now as to SLIP FIT, they are made that way intentionally because the parts are all solid sterling silver and if you were to have to press fit the components into the blank you would have the possibility of crushing the components, and yes you are correct it was the end cap but still not set up with locktite.

ichizlwood

Roy thanks for inspiring those of us that are new to creating unique writing instruments. It was a privilege to meet and receive your insights at M.A.P.G.

bobleibo

Roy
Those are some awesome pens! What is even more impressive is how much foresight you had to leave the end-cap loose so that it could be adjusted by your son when he got it - just in case it shifted during shipping. I would have never thought to do that but am glad to see that I am not the only "one". What vision you have. Honestly I think the space creates a little bit of character. I think I am going to try it on my next pen.
Cheers
Bob
P.S.
Apparently we are from the same neighborhood.......I am from Fulton Ave. and 168th street....just a few blocks away

Top Bottom