Yellowheart Atlas & Wisteris Sketch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

This is my first Yellowheart blank I turned. I got it from Rockler several weeks ago. The kit is a Platinum Atlas from Woodcraft. Just like the other heart woods, this one turned very easily for me. Sorry that the sun is washing out the picture. I did my normal 2 thin ca coats followed by 6 coats of medium ca. It was different working on a long barrel pen since I have been doing so many 2 piece ones lately. I like the looks of this wood and will for sure get more in the future.

The sketch pencil is one I bought off of the Wood-N-Whimsies website. It is a PSI sketch pencil that I did for my daughter's birthday in a couple weeks. She has been really getting into drawing so I thought this would be nice for her. The blank is an acrylic from Woodcraft and is called Wisteria. This sketch pencil was unique as it is a 2 piece and not a 1 piece like the others I have seen people do. It also took an 11mm bit which I did not have. I use some scrap wood and a couple bits I thought would be close and found that 7/16 was about dead on with little wiggle room. I did my wet MM all the way up to 12000. The other tricky part was that on this kit I had to glue the coupler onto the pencil mechanism. That was a strange design to me, but it worked out just fine. I think the next one I turn will be the 1 piece though.

163192-438x.jpg
163193-438x.jpg

163195-438x.jpg
163196-438x.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Both very nice !! Your daughter will definitely get some envious looks. Not every kid can say " Oh, by the way, my dad made this for me" :biggrin:

Rangertrek

Todd, did you paint the tube or the inside of the blank?
I think I can see the tube in the acrylic, :confused: or it may just be the photo.
If it is the tube, you might consider painting the inside of the blank a white or light grey.

ToddMR

Todd, did you paint the tube or the inside of the blank?
I think I can see the tube in the acrylic, :confused: or it may just be the photo.
If it is the tube, you might consider painting the inside of the blank a white or light grey.

John, yeah I normally would have bought the painted tubes or painted them myself, but honestly I knew my daughter wouldn't care either way. It does show up some near the CB, but trust me when I tell you she will love it just the same hehehe.

Top Bottom