Yellow Peach Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaurikid

Kaurikid

This time a click ballpoint pen from Rockler. In another IAP forum I was trying to find out what wood the main part of the pen was but now I've been told it's called Yellow Peach from China. I bought a job lot of assorted bits which had a quite few of the logs like the one in the photo, which the pen came from by the way. The other wood I chose to complete the pen was rosewood and ebony.

Sadly the kit feel's cheap and doesn't have a smooth action so that's another one off my rebuy list. To be honest of all the kits I've purchased from Rockler and Woodcraft there hasn't been one that I can say was good quality. You give your all in completing these kits and then feel disappointed because you've just spotted a flaw in the plating or mechanism.

Anyway this Peach wood turns nice and crisp making this pen a pleasure to have on the lathe. I feel I'm getting somewhere now with this pen hobby but still have a long way to go when I see some of the beauties being created on this site.

I feel a fountain pen coming on.……..

Enjoy . . . .

Attachments

• Yellow Peach.jpg
    Yellow Peach.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 329
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Nice job with the segmenting.

Kits: Try Exotic Blanks - Berea; Classic Nib - Lazerlinz; Smitty's - Lazerlinz; or direct from Lazerlinz.

Don't know the hassle you'll have getting them sent to you though. These are just my opinion.

OZturner

Another Beautiful Pen, Steve.
Love the Segmenting and your colour choices.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
What happen to the Mineral Sample?
Congratulations,
brian.

Kaurikid

Thanks for the praise and information I always try to do a good job with whatever I'm creating. Thanks for the web sites Mark I'll check those out. I thought I'd use the remaining piece of the log that the pen came from as a back drop this time. It shows how nice the figure is in this wood if one of you guys were contemplating it.

Thanks again,
Steve

t001xa22

Steve, really great job with the segmenting and the whole pen. As for the wood: I have found that most of the fruit tree woods have beautiful graining and lineage, especially ones like orange, grapefruit, apple, and other species of peach. Your version is the first time I have seen that variety.

Kaurikid

Thanks again Mark for the kit info. I've just come across Dayacom kits which look terrific, pricey but the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'm off to Taiwan next week again and I've found someone that sells them there so I might be tempted after having a feel of the quality....

t001xa22 your right fruit trees offer a lot of interesting wood. Here in China one of the most expensive woods is from a pear tree that grows in the Hainan area of China and I mean very expensive!

Check this site they reckon 1kg is equal to 40g's of gold!

Hainan pear crazy prices: 1 kg of 40 grams of gold convertibility, Outdoor Furniture

Cheers

Steve

Top Bottom