Yellow Gum on a Cigar!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from robutacion

robutacion

Hi everyone,

I found this Cigar kit among my pen turning stuff, didn't know I had it, no idea where or when I got it??:confused:

Anyway, I was in the mood for some turning so, I started with the pen (got a small bowl done also) with a blank that I had on top of my old GMC lathe (has been there for a while, I reckon fall down when I was sanding a lot of that wood, and found it some time later...!) The blank was marked #5 which is Yellow Gum, it didn't have much yellow on it but I used it anyway:)

No bushes, so all done (measured) with a digital veneers, sanded to 400 and rubbed with some Arganoil. I just took the pics with my old video recorder on the still pic mode, as the video has I light which I used to see what I was doing! well..., sort of!:biggrin:

PS: I should have mention that after sanding, I use some sanding sealer to seal the wood, I apply the sealer the same way as the CA is normally applied. Most times, there is no need to re-sand (depending on the wood) but a rub with 0000 steal wool is all it takes!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 1292_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1292_(1).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 204
  • timber preparation 1291_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1291_(1).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Thanks guys...!:biggrin:

I wish I had more tubes, I could use this kit to keep practicing on my cigars marathon but then, without the bushes isn't much point, huh?

I will have plenty of spare tubes and spare bushes when I find someone to swap the kits with my timbers.

On this issue, there are a couple of things that got me confused a little, another day when I was going through one of the pen kits suppliers web site, there is the bushes type, either with 3 or 4 pieces? so, what's the difference?

Then we got the bushes for either type A or B mandrels, which I believe the type B is a bit thicker shaft to take advantage of the wider diameter of the tubes (10mm) making the mandrel a lot stronger..! I think, isn't it?:confused:

I've got 2 good quality mandrels (one never used), I think they are both type A so I will see if I can make a bigger shaft on one of them so that I can get some of the bigger (inside dia.) bushes.

The interesting thing is that when I decided to get involved with pen making, after spending years turning pieces (logs/blanks) that I couldn't lift myself, well, some of them..!:wink:, what I mean is, going from "big" stuff to "small" stuff for a change, I spend a considerable amount of money buying all sorts of gear for pen making, including the compulsory bunch on Slimline all colours kits and some other kits in the less expensive (OK, cheap!:eek:) bracket, I even replaced my drill press to a "big mother" that was on special then from Timbecon, blank drill press, etc, etc...but, haven't done a dozen pens yet in over a year, the making of the blanks did become not only a bigger job but one that I enjoy immensely, always did! :cool:

I tent to "take big bites" at one time, on everything I do, there is, I found myself going through stages (moods) when it comes to handling timbers, either chainsaw work, bandsaw work and turning, among others. I can spend as much time as it takes to either start to hurt pretty bad, or getting sick of doing it and that goes from an hour to a full week if not more.

Don't worry, I know that I'm not alone...!:eek::wink::biggrin::doctor::frown:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom