Yellow Box Burl, Turquoise TruStone and Red/Blue Mica

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hilltopper46

hilltopper46

I had these barrels glued up for months and finally got around to turning them.

I knew the YBB had a lot of voids and cracks in it so was wanting to try rubbing mica pearl pigments into the voids and then seal in with super glue.

Lately I have been experimenting with changing the centerbands on Cigar pens, and wanted to do that with this one. Since it was already faced for the standard centerband, I added one made from some left over TruStone turquoise from the cut-offs box. One layer of the turquoise wasn't thick enough, so a layer of walnut separates two layers (a plastic such as pick guard would have been better, but I didn't have any).

Anyway - creative? Yes. Beautiful? You tell me... It's good enough I'll put it on the table at shows this fall.

Thanks for looking - comments and criticisms welcomed.

Attachments

• Pen603a.JPG
    Pen603a.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Pen603.JPG
    Pen603.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 219
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

That is a wonderful pen. How in the world did you get Walnut that thin without having it turn to dust? Amazing, truly amazing.
Charles

I like it. I just finished a razor with Ramon stump with green mica in the voids. I think the filled voids add character. yours looks good as well as the Turquoise band. I would put it on my table but it would just sit there, because nobody wants cigar pens in the south I guess.

hilltopper46

How in the world did you get Walnut that thin without having it turn to dust?

Ooops, sorry - basket making strips purchased form a local basket making shop. They have walnut, maple and cherry in several different widths - I used to know what thickness but have forgotten, and not inclined to run down and measure at the moment.

The basket making strips are very convenient for inlays, as shown on this pen....

Attachments

• Pen601.JPG
    Pen601.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 156
Top Bottom