Year of the Dragon 2012 on a Baron RB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

Haven't posted a lot of my turningz lately, but I figured it was time to share one!

Having made just a few of these blanks, I finally got around to making one almost worthy to be viewed....is it perfect, probably not? But it'll be sold before I get to work(got to stop at the USPS place this morning to mail some stuff, it won't come out of there)

Painted the tubes white with rattle can Fusion, applied stamps and used two(2) coats ModPodge to seal them and then cast in clear PR.
Squared the ends, applied some thinCA to keep the water during the wetsanding from getting under the acrylic.
Turned between centers, while constantly checking with the calipers for that magical number.
Sanded 400 and 800 grit wet, then used all the pretty colored pads to 12K(also wet).
Final step before assembly, PlastixPolish.....

And here's the result!
YearoftheDragon001.jpg

YearoftheDragon002.jpg

And un-posted:
YearoftheDragon003.jpg

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, but critiques are better for me to learn from! Thanks for looking!!!

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

nice work Scott. colors are crisp and vibrant. my only critique would be against painting the tubes white. You can see it where the stamps didn't quite overlap in some spots. Maybe using a matching gold or blue would help hide that a bit better.

seamus7227

Superb! I am quite impressed with the overall appearance, thank you for the brief description of the process.

Seamus:)worship:taking a bow)R.

Ed McDonnell

Very nice. Just a point of personal preference, I think I would have preferred to have the gold stripes spiral in the same direction on both pieces. But that's just my opinion, and I may be the only person on the planet that feels that way. It's a really gorgeous pen as it is.

Ed

SDB777

nice work Scott. colors are crisp and vibrant. my only critique would be against painting the tubes white. You can see it where the stamps didn't quite overlap in some spots. Maybe using a matching gold or blue would help hide that a bit better.

That is one of those hide-site things....gold paint is on my list now. I was almost thinking that the stamps might have shrunk some during the PR cure? Cause I took extra care to make sure the stamp weren't allowing the 'back' to show.....

Superb! I am quite impressed with the overall appearance, thank you for the brief description of the process.

Seamus:)worship:taking a bow)R.

Figured if anyone ever wanted to turn one of these, sharing the thinCA after squaring tip might/would save some headaches.....

Very nice. Just a point of personal preference, I think I would have preferred to have the gold stripes spiral in the same direction on both pieces. But that's just my opinion, and I may be the only person on the planet that feels that way. It's a really gorgeous pen as it is.

Ed

It was a 50/50 thing, either the stamps would line up with the spiral when posted or not.:biggrin: Was going for the dragons are looking at each other thing....but I guess I over thought that one....cause no one else saw it:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the nice words everyone, should have made more. Maybe I can find some more stamps somewhere....makes for a fun project on a rainy weekend!

Scott (humbled by the masses) B

BSea

COOL!! COOL!! COOL!! That turned out really nice. I'll be calling soon for pointers on my Civil War Stamp pen. Can't wait for my orions to get here.

SDB777

COOL!! COOL!! COOL!! That turned out really nice. I'll be calling soon for pointers on my Civil War Stamp pen. Can't wait for my orions to get here.

Got some ordered myself, and some more of these stamps too! trying to wrap my mind around a two different stamp themed pen blank....but I got a few days to think about it still.

Scott

Whaler

Scott, my blanks are due to be delivered today thanks for the quick shipping. I'm anxious to get in the shop and try one.

Top Bottom