Ya' Never Know What Is Inside Until Ya' Turn It!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kyaggie

kyaggie

Here is a Stratus wrapped in crosscut pin (not pen) oak. The tree had to be taken down at my son's church and I did a number of pens for him to give to the pastors at the church. The wood for those was nice enough but the wood for this pen, which I am making for my son because his first one walked away, turned out to be very nice (IMHO) and VERY different from the others. It just goes to show ya' that you never know what you're going to find inside those blanks!

Mike

Attachments

• LDTStratus.jpg
    LDTStratus.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 540
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Oak gets such a bad rap for pens. But as you've shown, there are some killer pens (and other things) hiding inside. Good job! :good:

OZturner

Absolutely Brilliant Blank, Michael.
What a Delightful Surprise to Uncover.
Obviously from a "Devine" Old Oak Tree.
Superb Pen Ideally suited with the Stratus Kit.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
Ask your Son to Please don't misplace this one.
It is one in a million.
Congratulations,
Brian.

SDB777

Bob is right about getting the 'bad rep' in the timber world....guess everyone thinks it is going to look like their kitchen cabinets, or maybe the floor that they walk on.....couldn't be further from the truth(if you get the right cut, from the right place).

This piece has a lot going on! Looks like crotch or maybe even some inclusion timber with rays and a touch of spalting! You made that tree proud to become something special!!!!

Scott (too bad about the 'walked away') B

bedangerous

I feel guilty sometimes because as I walk around my neighborhood I wonder what a pen will look like from certain trees when a storm knocks them down.
Mitch

kyaggie

Thanks for the great comments! The grain and color was a surprise on this one. Scott, you're right, it looks like it should have come from a crotch but it was just a crosscut piece from the straight part of the trunk. There was a hint of a knot but the rest of it looked just like the other blanks from that slab... on the outside!

Mitch, I know how you feel... when I see a really cool looking tree, I don't want the tree to die but I want to be there when it does! :)

Thanks again,
Mike

MikeinSC

I feel guilty sometimes because as I walk around my neighborhood I wonder what a pen will look like from certain trees when a storm knocks them down.
Mitch

I have 17 different species of tree to work with thanks to storms and homeowner improvements. The sad thing is is that I don't have a building for all this wood or an efficient way to process it all.

Yet.

Top Bottom