Ya just gotta love Cocobolo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OldWrangler

OldWrangler

Digging through my lumber stack looking for something to turn, I ran across a piece of Cocobolo that I had put aside last year and was gonna turn sometime later. It was just big enough to get 4 blanks out of it so I made 4 pens. Pens is a RT Euro in gold and finish is CA/BLO to 12,000 MM and a polish with Brasso.

This wood is so easy to work with, cuts clean, takes are hard glass polish and has a smell that I kinda like. Too bad so many people are alergic to this wood.

Attachments

• coco.jpg
    coco.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 365
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Very Nice George! One of my favorite woods too!

I keep the dust collector on when ever cutting, turning, or sanding to help reduce sensitivity.

Cross cut looks exquisite!

Rifleman1776

You are right. You cannot go wrong with Coco. If there were to be only one turning wood, I would pick Coco.
Only downsides is the allergy thing. Do be careful with it. And, it is so popular that it is almost common.

OldWrangler

Randy, interesting that you noticed the cross cut pen. I am making up 2 more cross-cuts today. They don't seem to turn any different and have some really interesting pattern. If they are any better than these last 4, I'll post a picture tonight but most likely they will be about the same....just mildly spectacular. Gotta love that Cocobolo!!!

Hurricane Ike dropped over 400 trees in my small sub-division and would you believe I didn't find one Cocobolo. Bummer

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice work, George! Very nice! Cocobolo is one of my favorites, too. Especially when you get pieces like that!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I love the variety of colors cocobolo comes in. Yours are bright and vibrant!
Very nice. :cool:

I just cut up some planks. Some of it is read, some brown, some gold, some Black & Tan, some is red .. Love turning it, hate breathing it. (I actually like the smell, but I can't smell anything for a few days afterwards)

Top Bottom